We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Friday, March 30, 2007

The Fly

I'm watching part of the U2 ZOO TV DVD and during "The Fly" they had all sorts of random words and phrases flashing by. I jotted down a few of my favorites that really have meaning to me. Here they are:

* It Could Never Happen Here
reminds me a bit of our attitude prior to 9/11

* Religion Is A Club
one I belonged to for waaaay too long and burned my membership card!

* Art Is Manipulation
especially paintings. I love Jackson Pollock and he really manipulates the paint!

* Guilt Is Not Of God
explains why I don't go to church anymore!

* Silence = Death
our voices MUST be heard to make changes

* It's Your World You Can Change

Now that last one was a bit eerie for me to see. Mom raised Trina and I to believe that we could become whatever we wanted, which I believed until I was 20 or so. Hey, lets face it, I knew I was never going to become President or win a Nobel Peace Prize, or hell, go to Harvard (as I was so sure of when I was 13!). However, about 5 years ago I was having a serious heart to heart with mom and telling what a failure I felt like because I never did join the Peace Corps or save a life. I wanted to save the world and I was coming to realize that I never would. Mom told me something that sticks with me EVERY single day. She said "Cam, you can't save the world, but you CAN change the small world that you live in. The world that you have direct contact with." In fact I told that to my case worker when we had our homestudy and she thought mom was pretty smart (so do I) and thought that had put it in a great context. Then she had to go one further and ask what I did to change the world I live in. The point is, we CAN change the world; our own world. Don't ever give up. Sign up for the One organization, check out oxfam, wear a (RED) shirt and tell people WHY you are wearing it, go green for a day or two, wash your clothes in cold water rather than hot as 75% of the energy that it takes to do a load of laundry comes from heating the water, the point is, each one of us has the ability to change not just our own world, but the ENTIRE world!!! Isn't that empowering??? YOU can change the world!!! And tell other people what you are doing to encourage them! Remember, silence = death. Until later.....

6 comments:

Natalie said...

See what listening to U2 will do to ya?! Makes ya think...that's why my hubby loves them so much. Me...I'm against too much thinking;)

I appreciated your post though. We definitely CAN change the small world that we each live in! Perfectly said. Your mom is a smart woman!

p.s. ever wonder where the "fly" part of our email address is from?!

A Special Family said...

What a wonderful post :)
Carolina is simply adorable!!

Andrea said...

Great post, Cameo! I've been feeling a little restless because I haven't been DOING enough. I can't save the world, but I can make changes in my world, right? Thanks!

amy said...

I agree with you on many levels, life is too short, I have learned a lot with my very minor (thankfully) diagnosis of breast cancer. You will be changing Carolina's world. I know that isnt the same but our children deserve to have wonderful lives and by bringing them here we have changed their world. Carolina will know how loved and wanted she is as Isabella and Gabrielle know that. I wear a lot of (RED) things, I sponsor a child in Guatemala through World Vision, I wanted to give back to my girls country. Congratulations again Carolina is beautiful

JOY said...

Did you know Bono got a knight hood this week?

He said he doesn't want anyone calling him SIR BONO!

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess since I've made it past the 'GREASER' part, I can do something/someone (lol) better with my time now!!!!! Your always insightful Queenie, and I love yah for it!!!!