We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, March 29, 2007

September 2, 1989

Mom has been cleaning out her house and she came across a letter that I had written to her dated 09/02/89. Mom had two of my cousins write her a letter also. They listed what our life goals were. Here is mine:

My name is Cameo. I am 13 years of age, almost 14. This is going to be my life. I want to go to Harvard for 4 years and I want to graduate both high school and Harvard with high honors. After Harvard, I want to throw myself head long into my career as a writer. I also want to be an equal rights activist and I want to go to South Africa. Also I want to travel abroad to learn about people and their lifestyles. My husband must be rich and very good looking. Personality is an extra. He should have some, but it doesn't have to be a lot. I want to go out with a greaser before I'm married. Somebody like Pony in The Outsiders. I am going to be around 35 years of age when I decide to tie myself down. I am not going to have children. They're only a passel of brats. Also, my goal in life is to have a long conversation with Nelson Mandela, Bishop Tutu and go see Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's grave site and memorize his "I Have A Dream" speech and to make the dream a reality. I also want to be an artist like Andy Warhol and I want to help as many poor people as possible.

I read it last night to mom and Trina and we laughed at some of the things I wrote!!! I vividly remember writing this letter and how passionate I was about everything I said, including the "dating a greaser" part. What an idiot!!! And I was 30 when Norm and I (finally) got married so I was kind of close there. But not so close in that I was only 18 when we got together! I did score in the looks department as I find my husband attractive and his personality cracks me up! I feel like a failure in other parts; haven't gone to South Africa or to Dr. King's gravesite. I'm still writing though and will probably never stop painting. Anyway, I'm so glad mom had us write these and I'm going to have Asa and Carolina write me letters when they get older. Thanks mom! Until later......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A greaser! You are hilarious!!!!!
From an outside perspective, even if it is not those things imparticular (excluding the greaser part) you have brought forward a lot of those kind, giving & helpful qualities, you discussed. Thanks for sharing....a greaser...pony...bad boy....scorpio....haha!!!

Andrea said...

That's too funny! I would love it if my nearly 33 year-old self could go back and meet my 13 year-old self. THAT would be hilarious. The "greaser" part cracked me up. I had a thing for Pony, too :)

L.A. Funk said...

How classic of a 13 year old that money and looks come first and if he happens to have a good personality fine but that is not necessary! I was the exact same way and I reluctantly admit I was probably 20 before I changed my mind! How terrible is that?!!!! TOO FUNNY!

Natalie said...

This is hilarious! Our young adult church group did something similar when I was about 16 years old. It was a time capsule. I still have yet to see it. But I do know that I did NOT marry who I thought I was...thank goodness!

You have done some amazing things...including helping others. And that is definitely one of the most important things you can do with your life!

Mom/Gmom said...

That is to funny!!!!!!!!! what we dont think of when we are young and you did become a MOMMY after all

JOY said...

I love this idea! Might get my nieces and nephews to write me a letter.

Thanks for sharing this.

Of course you still have time to do some of the things that you haven't done YET!

Glad your "other half" comes upto scratch!