We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, April 30, 2007

Mothers Day

Mother's Day is fast approaching and I wanted to take a moment and talk a bit about my Mother-In-Law (or MIL). I admit it, I hit the jackpot with her! Sandi is the most kind, wonderful and most importantly, GENUINE person and she is one of the 4 most important women in my life. She has welcomed me into her family from day one and calls me her "daughter-in-love". As someone who has seen a truly horrible MIL (I'm not naming names), I know how rare and important it is to have a great MIL and boy, do I have one!!!! Everyone knows I'm super close to my family, and I feel the same towards Norm's family. But Sandi is great, she isn't always calling Norm or I, she understands that we both have lives, but yet at the same time, if she's in the area, she'll pop in and we'll have a lovely visit. I could not ask for a more loving, understanding, amazing MIL. I can talk to her about ANYTHING and not worry that she's judging me or will hold something against me. I love her dearly and she is soooo excited about Carolina Valentina. I read these horror stories about families not accepting adopted kids the same as bio kids. Valentina is Sandi's first grandchild, but I know for a fact, that even if/when more grandkids come along, adopted or bio, there will be NO difference whatsoever. I could go on and on singing Sandi's praises. I am so GRATEFUL that our daughter will have 2 amazing grandma's. Asa adores Sandi and calls her Grandma Sandi. And this year, for Mother's Day, Sandi emailed me and said she and Rod (her husband, my FIL, Norm's amazing "step" father, I hate that word and will work on something better) are having a BBQ at their place. I emailed her back and said that we would try to make it, but I was going to try to go to Spokane, WA as that is where my mom is going to be, spending time with HER mom. End of story, right? Wrong! Here is what my wonderful Sandi did for me; she said since it was my first Mother's Day as a mom, I should spend it with my mom. Sandi bought my airline ticket to Spokane! Then, as a bonus, she paid for Norm's ticket too!!!! So we are going to be spending Mother's Day in Spokane with my family courtesy of my loving Mother-In-Love. I tell ya, I'm the luckiest woman in the world; I have everything I could ever dream of, a wonderful husband, family, and even the greatest Mother and Family-In-Law. I love you Sandi!!!!! Until later.......

9 comments:

Natalie said...

Holy Cow Cameo...what a wonderful MIL! That story just about put in tears. How awesome!

Melissa said...

You certainly have been blessed! Enjoy your first Mother's Day!

Jane-Jane said...

You are blessed! Ya want to share your blessings with the rest of us? Can we clone her?

Kerry said...

Will you ask her if she will adopt me...or my husband...or however that works. I want her to be my MIL too.

JOY said...

How lucky you are Cameo. You are obviously very loved by Sandi.

What a great gift! I bet you are excited.

We have mothers day here in March - when is your mothers day?

Your first as a Mom - make it special!

Soltana said...

I LOVE SANDI... she seems GREAT!!!

Lou said...

WOW, now THAT is what I call a MIL! Can she give mine lessons??? LOL. What a blessed girl you are. Everybody loves you sweet girl!

Keri said...

I hope when I get married I have a great mother-in-law.

Andrea said...

So sweet! I am very lucky, too. My MIL is pretty darned awesome as well.

So when are you going to Spokane, exactly? Email me!