We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Friday, April 06, 2007

Semana Santa

Today I made dinner for my family to celebrate Semana Santa and Good Friday. I made authentic Guatemalan food that I found recipes for on the Mayan Traditions web site. On the menu was Arroz Guatemalteco, Guatemalan Tacos and for dessert, Mayan Chocolate ice cream.


Warming the corn tortillas on the griddle



The rice. I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding garlic and chili oil

The taco filling which was beef and potatoes


The tomatillo/avacado sauce that was really yummy!

My plate. Yes, I was lazy and we ate on paper plates and used plastic picnic ware and plastic cups too. Tough! I had been cooking for 4 hours!


And after cooking for 4 hours, I needed a glass of wine! I ended up having only a half glass

The weather was BEAUTIFUL today so we ate outside on the back deck

Uncle Norm and Asa lounging


Just kicking back!


Yummy dessert!


These two pictures of Asa cracked me up!


Isn't he just the cutest thing?

Oh! We got the DNA info today in the mail along with the picture of Valentina's birth mom. I can definately see a resemblance. They have the same nose. She's a very pretty woman, and I'm so glad we decided to name our daughter after this amazing woman who gave us the most precious gift we could ever get from anyone. The picture is going in our safe until Valentina is old enough to see it, IF she ever wants to see it. My dad was really interested in looking at the picture. He asked me what we would do if Carolina wants to look for her one day. I said I would support her whole heartedly and do everything in my power to track her down. That is, of course, provided it happens when Valentina is old enough to realize what she is doing. I'm not going to do it when she's 10 and rebelling and yells at me for the first time "YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!" Luckily my therapist has prepared me for this and I know that it will happen one day. Anyway, it was a pretty long day. I was up at 7am (I didn't even have Asa!) and went grocery shopping for our feast tonight, cooked all day, cleaned the house in between, got emotional looking at Valentina's birth mom's picture, hung out with Asa and finally sat down now. Good thing I don't cook every day!!! Tomorrow we are coloring eggs and I'm making cookies. Happy Easter to everyone and hope you all have a great weekend! Until later..........


5 comments:

Sonia said...

I'm so glad you had a good time with your family. The food looks delicious! Hang in there, Cameo, she will be home soon. We're praying for her.

L.A. Funk said...

Ummmm YUMMY!!!
Looks delicious!
I want some!hehe
HAPPY EASTER!!!

Andrea said...

Wow, the food looks great! wanna come over to my house and cook?? I'll let ya, I promise!!

It's an incredible thing, to see the bmom's picture. Keep it safe- it's quite the treasure!

Lou said...

Cameo, I am so impressed!!! Getting that picture was very emotional for me. AP doesn't look like her bmom, but I could just see the love the BMom has for AP. What a precious day you had!!

Love and hugs!

JOY said...

Gosh what a feast and what a lucky family to be able to enjoy it!

It looks really YUUMMMYY!

I LOVE pics especially of Asa on the chair! He is such a little honey!

It is so nice that you have been able to have a picture of Valentina's Mom. At least when you do have to talk about her in the future Valentina will be able to see how beautiful she was. Just as you are.