We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Chocolate Milk Incident

I swear to God I have a problem with chocolate milk. I haven't had any since February 1997. Yes, I remember the month and date for good reason. I'll explain later as to why that is. But what I want to talk about is what happened today.

Sissy, the kids and I went to Penney's today to get sissy some shoes. Afterwards we were all hungry so we hit Sonic which is right next door. We get our food, I get Valentina set up with her food and Trina does the same with Asa. Asa loves chocolate milk. He could drink it all day long if he could. Anyway, they barely start eating when Asa hands sissy his bottle of chocolate milk and said "I spilled my chocolate milk mum mum." Trina took it from him and her eyes got really big. The bottle was empty. He had spilled his entire bottle of chocolate milk. Trina got out of the truck, went in the back where the kids were, got it cleaned up as best as she could and told Asa that he could have some of her water to drink with his meal.

Asa - But mum, I need chocolate milk.
Trina - I'm sorry Asa. I know it was an accident, but it's gone. You can have some of my water.

Next thing I know, Trina looks back at Asa, turns around and says "Asa, I'll get you another chocolate milk." I was all ready to give her a hard time about being such a push over when it comes to Asa (she really is) when I looked back at Asa. Okay, you know how I said I'm not emotional anymore? I'm crying right now writing this. Asa was sitting in his car seat, his food on his lap, his eyes scrunched up, his hand over his eyes and tears leaking from the corner of his eyes. It was just pitiful that he was trying so hard to be strong and not cry but he just wanted his chocolate milk and he was so upset with himself for spilling it. So Trina pushed the button and ordered another chocolate milk. The voice on the other end said "ok, a grilled cheese. Anything else?" We all busted a gut laughing and I told Asa that he almost had to drink a grilled cheese sandwich. That got him laughing again but his eyes were still red and kind of puffy. Poor kid. So, we get the chocolate milk, life is good and about 10 minutes later this exchange happened:

Asa (handing sissy his bottle of chocolate milk) - here mum mum. I'm done.
Trina (shaking the bottle and realizing there's hardly any gone) - what's wrong Ace?
Asa - My stomach hurts. You shouldn't have gotten me another chocolate milk.
Trina looks at me flabbergasted.
I look at Trina flabbergasted.
Trina (thinking she heard wrong) - I should have gotten you another chocolate milk?
Asa (insistent and frustrated that he's not being heard) - no, you should not have given me another chocolate milk.

Yeah. Okay. File for future reference. Although if I ever see that scene of Asa trying so hard not to cry again I'd go milk a damn cow and melt a Hershey bar to give him his chocolate milk.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm confused, did he drink the first bottle of chocolate mile? LOL. (sorry, long day) I am a huge pushover when it comes to little kids I like (thankfully there arent that many of them in my life). If they start to cry I will buy/do anything to get them to stop. I do for dogs too.

Cameo said...

no, he SPILLED the first bottle of chocolate milk. The entire bottle. He had maybe one sip out of it and the rest spilled.

GAMZu said...

My son does that to me as well. I'd buy him something he loves and after a couple of sips and bits he says, "Why did you buy this? Dom't you know it's not healthy? Now I feel sick."
LOL!

jill marie said...

Oh, no. Poor Asa...Trina is a sweet mommy...just like her Sissy...who is softer than she tries to pretend she is not...YOU are a pushover too, right!