We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Dangers of Shopping

Tuesday sissy, the kids and I went out to lunch and then hit an outlet about a half hour away so sissy could get a rolling backpack for school. Trina found one she wanted and during checkout, she noticed that people 50+ receive a 10% discount. Sissy turned to me and said "oh, next time we should bring in mom." The cashier looked at Trina and asked "oh, well are you 50?" I damn near busted a gut laughing so hard. The look on Trina's face was of horror. Pure horror. I was still doubled over cracking up as we walked out of the store when sissy made a very disturbing conclusion; she's as close to 30 as she is to 50. Holy hell! How did my sister get to be almost 40? That night I was watching "Ellen" as I had DVR'd it to see the three "kids" (probably early 20's) that Ellen had flown out as they were Ellen Super Fans. Ellen sent them to Disneyland, an Angels game and just some general sight seeing. Team Ellen, as they were so christened, had to video their escapades and they played parts of it back on Tuesday's show. During their trip to Disneyland, one of the chicks made the remark, "I've always wanted to come here but was afraid that it wouldn't be until I was, like, 40, and I wanted to come when I could still have fun." After what had happened earlier in the day I found this extremely hilarious. After all, does sissy look 50????

10 comments:

Type (little) a said...

Oh course she doesn't look 50. But I would have TOTALLY said I was 50 for the discount. Because I have no shame.

Valerie said...

Nah, she doesn't look anywear near 50! And I too would of said I was just for the discount!

Jaimee said...

No Way! She doesn't even look close to 50! I would guess 34 if it were my turn. She looks great though, whatever her age.

Grama said...

i would guess 30 but she is beautiful no matter what age she is. Your Mom doesn't look 50 either. I laugh it off when people think I am older than my 82 year old Mom. She doesn't look her age either.

Trina G. said...

you are such a dork. I love you though.

Trina G. said...

Oh, did I mention I have to have a glaucoma screening????? LOL

Lori said...

Sadly you can take me next time! sigh :(

Lori said...

Oh and, here's another reason to put Chad on the TOP of Vali's prayer list.........he was over here today and we were talking about age and he said he couldn't believe it when he found out how old Trina was. He thought she was 28 or 29! So tell her that she has nothing to worry about and that store lady just needed lasic or something! heehee

Samantha said...

She doesn't look at all close to 50! I know how she feels. I saw one of my SIL's friends at the store and she asked me how much longer until I have my baby-and she was born a week before!

Tracey said...

She's hot and no where close to 40!!!!