We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, May 04, 2009

Deep Breath *****EDITED*****

Where to start.

Yesterday was hands down the worst day of my life and the worst day of all of our lives.

Trina has been having pain in her side for a few weeks and went to the doctor twice about it. The last time was about a week ago and I was with her. Her PCP (primary care physician) told her it was just due to hormones with the pregnancy. Okay, weird, but oh well.

Saturday night mom woke me up at 2:30 am and said she was taking sissy to the ER for her pains. Mom got home at 8:30 am and told me the news; after doing extensive tests, the ER dr told mom and Trina that the cancer was back. Not only was it back, but that it had spread to her lymph nodes and liver.

Fuck.

Thankfully (?) I had Asa as sissy was home trying to sleep and talk to Joshua. I was able to take care of the kids and keep myself busy with them, the whole time raging at God. Trina came over later in the afternoon and we just were stunned. She kept saying "I have liver cancer." She did NOT tell Asa and I did my best not to cry or let the kids know anything was up. Later on in the evening I decided to pray and open my Bible. The first two pages were not very helpful but I kept reading. The next three pages were full of promises that God will heal and protect anyone, as long as they ask and believe it. I became peaceful and prayed that His will be done. That is the hardest thing to pray and I've had to do it before with Trina.

This morning Trina got up and immediately started calling doctors. First up was her surgeon who had diagnosed her breast cancer 16 1/2 years ago. He was doing rounds but his assistant said to come in NOW and he would make room for her. While they (mom, sissy and Josh) were on their way, Trina heard back from her OB/GYN personally and he said he was looking at her CAT scan and that he didn't see anything that would convince him that it was cancer. Yes, there are lesions on her liver and something wonky with her lymph nodes, but that it wasn't time to panic. He also said that he's done chemo with several women who were pregnant. Yesterday morning the ER doc told Trina that she needed to terminate the pregnancy, start chemo, radiation and basically that she was riddled with cancer.

Papa and I met Trina and mom at sissy's PCP's office with some more news after seeing her surgeon. He said did a full breast exam and found nothing in there. Furthermore, after reading the CT scan he said where the lymph nodes that are wonky were, is not normally where breast cancer spreads to. He did set up an MRI for tomorrow afternoon and we'll know more then. Unfortunately he noted something on her lung.

Finally, she went in to see her PCP and mom and I were with her. He went along with what the other two doctors are saying; yes, there is something there but it could very well be some enlarged blood vessels in the liver brought on by the pregnancy, which is causing a respiratory infection (the spot on her lung) in which case would explain the enlarged lymph nodes. He said now is not the time to panic.

Yes, it could still be cancer. But we don't know!

We will know more tomorrow after the MRI. Her surgeon is going to get the report and if he doesn't call Trina back by 4:30 pm he gave her his cell phone number for her to call him.

We have so much to be thankful at this time:

* God has promised us that he will heal

* Trina has an amazing team of doctors on her side that will not stop until they/we know what this is and she can get in immediately with them.

* IF it's liver cancer, it is very possible that it is just in her liver.

* Our faith and BELIEF in God has truly been restored.

I don't want to sound melodramatic which is why I didn't post yesterday. Actually, I couldn't write the words yesterday. I only emailed a handful of people at first and couldn't even write the "C" word.

Today? Today we have HOPE!!!! Today we have FAITH!!!

TODAY WE KNOW WE ARE IN THE MIDST OF A MIRACLE HAPPENING!!!!!!!!

I beg you all to please continue praying for Trina. There is a very special prayer chain that is all praying for her at 7:30 pm PST every night until she is in the clear, whether that be tomorrow or in a year.

I'm thankful to God for giving us these promises in the Bible and am ashamed that I only crack open the Book in times of need. I am also thankful to YOU for praying/sending good thoughts/thinking of Trina, Joshua and Asa during this time. It is my strong belief that I will be writing in a few days saying she is HEALED.

Thank you.

22 comments:

LouLou said...

Cameo, I truly believe that God DOES heal people EVERYDAY..... I will not stop praying for Trina and ALL of you.... I will admit that when I was at the top of this post I started crying like a baby, but then I claimed Trina's health in the name of Jesus. He will take care of your every need as well as everyone who trusts in Him. Trina has work to do here with you all.... She will be HERE to mother BOTH her children.....

Love you.

Kelly said...

Cameo,Trina, and the rest if the family, you have our prayers.

Mandy said...

Oh Cameo, I am so sorry the pain you all have been through these past few days. I am so glad that she has such amazing doctors. Please know that I am sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way. Sending a great big ol' hug to all of you!!

Melissa said...

Cameo,
I don't know you or your family but have been reading the blog since before Valentina came home. I feel I know you all. I am praying for Sissy, Josh Asa and the rest of the family. If God brings it to you he will bring you through it. Much love

Melissa Lanier
Calhoun GA

Stephanie (Maya's mommy) said...

Cameo...so sorry tp hear this news, but standing beside you in HOPE that all is well. I woke up this morning with the scripture "This is the day that the Lord has made, Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Maybe this was for you. Let rejoice in today, for He does heal, and He does work for good for those who love him. I am praying for Trina- for healing, for a peace that passes all understanding (because that's what that sweet baby needs!!), and for rest in this scary time. But I'm also praying those things for all of you!
Hugs~ steph

Tracey said...

Praying! I sure hope it isn't cancer! Anxious to hear from you tomorrow!

Loves to all of you!

Alleen said...

Oh Cameo... I too will stand in prayer with you until you hear she is healed.

Valerie said...

You and your family are in my prayers.

My Mom has stage 3 Melanoma and we are too waiting to here if her's has spread again.

Sig said...

7:35 and I just finished praying for her and your family.
Love ya.

Cherrie said...

Cameo, Trina & family,
I have seen the miracles God performs...Tyler is my miracle.
Praying for all of you. Know that we are all out here in blogland loving your family.
Cherrie

Kylie's Mommy said...

Trina and your family are in our prayers.
Keep us updated....
Dottie

Kim said...

My goodness - I knew something was up - but not this. Sending prayers Sissy's way - prayers that the results of the scans tomorrow show some easy to fix. And if not, prayers for the strength to get through it.

I will pray specifically for wisdom for the doctors - that they will know without a doubt what needs to be done to save both Sissy and the baby.

Rhonda said...

Cameo,
I just e-mailed Trina. Be strong for her.
Every one of you are in my prayers.
Praying she is OK.

Sonia said...

Just know that we're all praying for Trina and the rest of the family over here. We love you all so much.

Greta Jo said...

Sending prayers from NJ. God is in control!

jill marie said...

Praying for you. Loving you guys.

Grama said...

Praise God He is in control and will bring all of you through this. I am so grateful for His love and I know He loves your family. Asa and Valentina are proof of that.
Prayers of thanks and for peace and joy in your family.

Anonymous said...

Praying!



Jimena

Christina said...

We will continue to pray for you and your family...We love you all so much...

~Christina, for everyone here

Rose said...

You and your sweet sister and your whole family are in my prayers. Waiting to hear the good news. Keep the faith!
Rose

Bonnie said...

My prayers are with Trina and all of you!

Marty said...

Mine and Miranda's prayers are with all of you and especially Trina.