We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, May 28, 2009

Good Oncology Appointment!!!

Yes, I know that the title is a bit of an oxymoron, but I was so pleasantly surprised! I've learned something in the past 3 1/2 (almost 4) weeks.

When there are doctor appointments and I don't hear from sissy or mom until they pull into the driveway = BAD NEWS

When they call on their way home from doctor appointment = NOT SO BAD NEWS

Today I didn't hear from them until I turned around and saw mom standing right behind me. Uh-oh. But she was smiling. Hmm. All of this went thru my head in about .5 seconds. The doctor was glad to finally know where the originating cancer was (breast). They are going to take it out on Monday. Poor sissy has had so many surgeries. Here's the weird thing, this breast cancer is not related in any way, shape or form to the breast cancer she had in 1992. Ergo, sissy has had breast cancer TWICE. This is not a recurrence of breast cancer, it's new breast cancer. How many people get breast cancer twice in their lives, all before the age of 40??? Only sissy! Which is actually good because the odds are against her. About 20% of women who have what she has (stage yuck, metastatic breast cancer) make it past 5 years. Those odds aren't great, but then again, we're talking about my older, little freak of nature, with the freakishly small hands, sissy here, which means she will DEFINITELY be in that 20%, with lots of prayers, well wishes and positive thoughts! Thank you God! We are still praying like mad, and my faith keeps trickling back. I started reading Matthew (again) last night, since I couldn't sleep. I love the book of Matthew. It's so nice, sweet, healing and loving.

Anyway, it went good, there's a lot of room for hope. Like mom said, it's still an uphill battle, and it will be rough, but I am pretty damn sure she will make it past that 5 year mark. She'll still have breast cancer, it will never be cured, but it can be kept in remission for a while.

THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Sonia said...

She will definitely make it because she is a fighter!! You are all always in my prayers. Love you!

Mandy said...

Hearing that the appointment was good makes me happy. Trina is amazing, please give her a hug from me!

Valerie said...

It's good to hear good news on the cancer front.

Still praying for her and your family. She's going to beat it!

Kim said...

Yeah for a non-sucky oncology appointment!!!! :) I'm glad there is a plan - now let's go fight!!!!

Sig said...

See? GOOD Oncology appt. (Now I am happy) :p
20%. Puhleez. She can beat those odds with her eyes closed, hands tied behind her back. She made it through 5% 16 years ago. Piece of cake. Well, OK, maybe not that easy, but she'll do it. No doubt.

Grama said...

So very grateful to be thanking God for His mercy. You are all so strong that I know you will make it through this with flying colors.
Like everyone else I continue to pray that the treatments don't make her sick and that you all maintain your humor. Every day brings new hope. Love to all

Aunt Kathy said...

a friend of mine who is going through cemo for her breast cancer, says that "ginger" is helpful for the nausia.
praying and "believing".
Aunt Kathy

Suzanne said...

You and your sister have my prayers. I am curious why they say it can't be cured and can only go into remission? Aren't people sometimes cured for good of breast cancer? Or is it this particular type that isn't curable?

Suzanne

Cameo said...

Suzanne-

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong here, but once breast cancer has metastisized, it is only treatable, not curable. She WAS cured from the breast cancer she had 16 years ago, that hadn't spread anywhere (which in and of itself was yet another miracle given the time from when she felt the lump until the time it was removed, the agressiveness of the cancer etc...) so this is NEW breast cancer and it has spread to her liver. So that is my understanding.

And most importantly, thank you for your prayers and well wishes!

URBAN BLONDE said...

Cameo,
This working full time now has me so tired by the time I finish supper I haven't had a chance to read any blogs so I've had a lot to catch up on tonight (yay weekend!).

I am loving your posts, dare I say I can feel a sense of peace in you through cyber space?

Please know I'm still praying for you all, (you may convert me yet :) ) and I'm loving the positive vibes from the doc's appt today. I just know Trina has got it in her to be in that 20% success category. That is crazy though to have two different bouts of breast cancer that are unrelated to each other.

Many {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to all of you, you guys are so strong!

Carrie

PS I hope I haven't come off as rambling, it's 11:00pm here and I need to go to bed and because I have a warped sense of humor when you mentioned freakishly small hands I thought of this and I admit I giggled. I hope you watch it and giggle too!

www.hulu.com/watch/37752/saturday-night-live

Love you guys! Nite nite!