We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Friday, May 22, 2009

Thankful

Today has been a complete and utter range of emotions, as is pretty much every day, but today has been especially up and down.

Before I go any further,

Thank you to each and every one of you who donated time, money, effort, items, prayers and well wishes to sissy during, not just the raffle time, but this entire ordeal!!!!! Sissy wanted me to let everyone know she hopes to somehow write a thank you post tomorrow but she also knows there is no way to adequately thank everyone!!!! I'm so blessed to have so many people caring, praying and pulling for my sister.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

So, onto the rest of the day. Obviously sissy had to start off the day with some news that she didn't want to hear. However, in true sissy fashion, she dusted herself off, picked herself up and not 20 minutes after I posted this morning, she called me back up saying she was okay. I questioned her, as this was a big change of emotion in such a short time. "I'm bipolar, remember?" was her reply and we couldn't stop laughing.

Our day improved and we all hung out most of the day at our house, SPC baby, SPC!!! Let's see chemo and cancer try to stop us from having Summer Party Central!

One quick serious note. That Sunday morning, almost three weeks ago, when mom had to come into my room and tell me the horrific news, my immediate thought was "I can't do this. I can't go through this again watching my sister suffer. There's no way. We can't do this again. We don't have the strength. We cannot do it." Not that anyone is asking how we do it, but I'm telling you WHY we do it:

We have these two miracle children that make it possible, and even happy, to make life go on. And when I say they are miracle children, I mean it in every sense of the word. Yes, every child is a miracle, but ours are especially so. It is because of these priceless miracles that we are not just going through the motions, but actually LIVING our lives. I thank God for them constantly throughout the day.

Sissy, the kids, and I did a photo shoot this afternoon. I love this picture of Asa and his mum.

Asa totally posed for this one. He's in his Club America (Chivas America?) uniform.

This picture really isn't too particularly good of either sissy or I, Asa took it at an very unflattering angle (hey, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) but I love it because you can see that sissy is really laughing, not just smiling.

Our miracle children, Valentina and Asa.
We may all go to the beach tomorrow for the day, we aren't sure. We are going to play it by ear (hey, we are famous for making plans and changing them 10 minutes later) but we do know that we will be spending the entire weekend together....... as usual.
I hope you all have a wonderful three day weekend and don't forget to hug your loved ones extra long or tell them how much they mean to you. One thing that mom said after cancer invaded our family again, "we can't use this to bring us any closer, we're already as close as a family can get." Truer words were never spoken.

7 comments:

GMom said...

What a Family!!!!!!!!!
Sissy looks so happy and Asa looks so grown up all of a sudden.
I think about you Guys all the time and you will all be just fine Stay strong

Love you all
Gmom

Grama said...

Love the pics as always. I too believe that Asa and Valentina are miracles. God knows all things and knew we would need these two to remind us He does love us.
Hope you have a great weekend.Love and prayers

Krystal said...

Really great pics! I hope you guys have a fantastic weekend :)

Krystal said...

Really great pics! I hope you guys have a fantastic weekend :)

Alaska Family said...

Love the pictures…!! Asa and Valentina always look a little more “Grown up” every time we see their pictures…Your comment about the unflattering angle…Amanda is constantly telling me that’s what I do…I feel for Asa :) Hope you all have a great weekend together,

Love you all

Mandy said...

I love this post. Asa and V are the reason you all will fight this and go on.

Aunt Kathy said...

Asa and Valentina look really good in "yellow". they are both so cute.
thank you for reminding us to "savor" each moment with our loved ones. we tend to take so much for granted.
and the picture of you and trina, your both smileing, what a beautiful picture.
love "aunt" kathy