We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, June 04, 2009

Cancercation Success

Before I tell y'all about our girls day out I must show you Valentina's mustache. She got a scratch above her lip, somehow, sometime. A week ago she had found a pen and drew all over the same place so it looked like she had whiskers. Sissy asked me if she had managed to get into the pens again.


I think this was either yesterday or today. Yesterday, I think.


This morning, picking up sissy and Asa to take the kids to Grama's house. Asa was having fun poking his head through the sunroof.


Mom made the mistake of mentioning how cute Asa's legs are so he made me take a picture of "my cute legs".


Finally it was time to hit downtown Portland for some yummy lunch while dining al fresco. Lovely! Poor sissy has had to give up her beloved beer, actually she has to avoid any alcohol of any kind except for the occasional glass of wine. Here she is enjoying her virgin margarita.


Doesn't it look like Beya is having a glass of a really dark beer? Nope, it's just root beer.


I'm having my usual, ice water with lemon.

We ALL ordered the same thing; a side salad and these mouth watering, garlic encrusted pretzels.....


...... paired with a spicy spinach cheese dip. Heavenly! As you can see I dug right in to my pretzel before remembering to snap a photo of it.

Three girls on our four hour cancercation! Actually, we did talk about chemo, illness, sissy's liver pain, etc.... But it was still lovely to get away for a few hours and pretend to be a "normal" family.
After lunch we hit my true love, Target. Oh my dear Target, how I've neglected you. But then I remembered why after spending $130 on only necessary things. Granted I got enough toilet paper and paper towels to last us a while, it still seemed expensive. I'm a bit obsessive about having extra TP and paper towels on hand. I start to freak when I get down to about 4 rolls of paper towels and a 12 pack of toilet paper. That's when I know I have to go get some more.


And this is what you've all been waiting for, my dear Valentina in her Lee-O-Tard. She was pretty happy with it and wore it for a few hours until it was time to put on her new jama's that I had bought for her.
All in all, it was a nice day today. Tomorrow sissy goes in to have her breast battle scar inspected by her nurse and to be told how much longer (if at all) she will need to wear the smocked tube top instead of a bra.
Please keep the prayers, well wishes and positive thoughts coming. I don't mean for you to leave comments, I just need you all to do it. Chemo the Cunt starts on Monday and I know that sissy is dreading it. Actually, Trina said something that really hit home with me the other day. She said "we all have cancer." Unfortunately that is true. We all have our roles that we are doing and yes, Sissy has to do all the physical work, but our hearts are just as full of despair, hope, fear and faith as sissy. You can't be in a family as close as ours is and NOT be affected by it.
Also, if I might be so bold, please keep a man named Greg in your thoughts and prayers also. He too has cancer that has spread to his liver. His sister contacted me and we are dealing with this together. After all, until you've been through it you really have no idea what it's like to live while constantly having your siblings cancer at the forefront of your mind. It really fucking sucks.
Anyway, tomorrow starts the weekend! I hope you all have a great one.

4 comments:

Krystal said...

So glad that you gals had a fun time! Valentina is going to be the cutest thing to ever hit the gym :)

Trina G. said...

I'm glad you have more than 12 rolls or TP at a time too :0

Valentina is beautiful and the pictures of Asa made me laugh.

I love our little brown Shawn Johnson!

Grama said...

so glad you had as fun a day as possible. Love you all.
Love all the pics.

Mandy said...

Your day looks like it was fabulous!!