We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, June 08, 2009

Chemo Tracker 2009

Believe it or not, as of 45 minutes ago (2 pm our time) sissy still had NOT even started her treatment. She was there at 10:45 am and we knew it was going to be a long day. They told us to be prepared for it to take 5-6 hours. Well, treatment hasn't even begun. They were still waiting on her labs to come back (checking her cell counts). Around 2 pm they told sissy that it would take about another hour for it to come back and for things to finally start going forward. They told sissy she could wait or come back tomorrow. Yeah, RIGHT! There was no way sissy was leaving without that poison in her body!!! Trina had received a very confusing phone call Friday evening; one office said she needed to have treatment at this office, that office said no, they didn't have her scheduled, etc.... and the conversation ended with sissy telling them "I'm showing up Monday morning and I'm not leaving until I have treatment." Yay for sissy! So, she ~should~ be starting treatment in another half hour or so and then another 5-6 hours past that she should be home. So it will be around 9 pm before she gets home.

I better go get my daughter who refused to nap and I've still kept her locked up in her crib for "quiet time". She's starting to talk in her guttural voice which is never good.

I'll update in the comments section when I know more.

18 comments:

Melissa said...

I am thinking of all of you in GA. Praying for strength for Sissy and for you and the rest of the family.

Marcie said...

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about Trina all day long.

Trina sure is one strong woman!

Rose said...

Kick IT Trina!

Cameo said...

Around 4:15 pm I spoke to mom and sissy was about 1/4 done with the first drug (she has 2). She was getting sleepy so mom thought she was going to take a nap. About 5 minutes later I got a text from Joshua with a pic of sissy conked out. I'm so glad she is able to sleep right now! Thank you everyone, for your support, your concern, your comfort.

Cameo said...

FIRST TREATMENT DOWN!!!!!

Almost.

She should be done in about an hour. The day was unbelievably long for them and it just so happened that my BFF Amanda, who has offered to do meals on Tuesdays, stopped by today with the food. It was a God send! All 3 of them (Beya, Joshua and sissy) are starving and sissy was saying she wished she had asked for food tonight. Well, she didn't have to ask as Amanda has some scary sixth sense with us :) So the food is in the oven and will be all ready for sissy when she drops off mom.

Now we just wait. And see how bad things get.

jill marie said...

I am happy you posted... I rushed home to see how she was doing.... I love you guys and am thinking of you everyday.. PRAYERS.

Kim said...

I'm glad that it's done. Yeah! First day done!! Hope she gets some rest tonight.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the updates! So glad the first treatment is over with. Prayers, prayers and more prayers lifted for you all today.

Alaska Family said...

Thanks for the update, Cameo. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We hope that things dont get too bad for Trina, we love you all.

Mandy said...

Thanks for the update, I've been thinking about you all today. I love it when BFFs have that 6th sense.

nikki said...

Praying that Trina has a restfull night, as the poison attacks all those nasty cancer cells!!!

Valerie said...

Hope Trina sleeps well tonight! My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.
How come they are always sooo slow with labs? It drives my Mom batty!

Grama said...

thanks so much for the update. I am praying with nikki that she sleeps good tonight, good thing you sent the goody bag. I will help provide one next time if you let me.
Love you so much.

URBAN BLONDE said...

So late to this tonight but hoping Trina is feeling okay. What a long day she had but boy do I'd admire her spunk!

I'm so glad to see you have special people in your life who just know when you need something!

Prayers for the coming days ahead. Hope your sissy will breeze on through. Die, cancer, Die!

Carrie

Andrea said...

Thanks for the update, love. I hope Trina sleeps like a log tonight. I look forward to hearing how she's doing GREAT tomorrow!

Sig said...

So happy for her that the first one is over. I hope she slept really well last night and wasn't too sick.
Just think, those nasty cancer cells are dying as I type this.
Yay!

Kate @ Life As I Live It said...

I thought of Trina all day yesterday and fell asleep praying for her last night. Hope you all got some rest last night and that T's feeling ok today.

Mylene said...

hi Cameo,
You are a wonderful sister to Trina. I hope you are doing well. God bless your family. I continue to pray for all of you.