We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Tuesday, June 02, 2009

"I Miss You Mama!"

Mom, Valentina, Asa and I went to see sissy this afternoon. After a few hours, sissy was ready to lay down and take a nap so mom decided to take the kids to the Mercado de Mexicana (Mexican store). Yes, I'm using my Spanglish, so what. Anyway, they were gone for a while and I heard Valentina before she came bursting through the door, wildly swinging a bag of Mexican sweet breads and exclaimed loudly, "MAMA! I miss you!" It was truly one of the sweetest things I've ever heard, if not THE sweetest thing. Yet another reason why I'd love to have a few more kids. I know sissy would love to have more also (obviously) but unfortunately it seems like we will have to be happy with our one each. Don't get me wrong, our miracle children are, well, miracles, but it would be wonderful to have some more but I think that ship has sailed.


This was taken Monday morning while we were sitting outside watching the kiddo's play. Another cute thing that Valentina says is "hello kiddos!" when going up to mom, or sissy or me. Beya refers to both Asa and Valentina as "the kiddos" and obviously Valentina has picked up on that. I was able to take so many cute pictures Monday morning, this was just one of the best.
This afternoon. This is sissy, recovering from her lumpectomy. She has to wear that smocked type tube top for a few weeks instead of a bra to help her heal.

This is her battle wound from the surgeon removed that fucktard cancer. He took out a pretty big chunk of her boob to make sure he took all of it, so that means the area is pretty sunken in. He said that it will fill up with fluid, become painful and develop a cyst. That won't really matter as I think sissy plans on having a double mastectomy once she is done with chemo. Beya, sissy and I are going in on Thursday to all be tested for the BRCA1 and BRCA2, the breast cancer mutation gene. I tell ya, sissy has GOT to test positive for it. Then again, knowing her freaky nature, she could come back negative! I guess at this point nothing would surprise me.


Sissy reading Asa his official introduction to the local minor league soccer kids club.

Valentina sporting her April bow of the month from Aunt Holly over at Kick Ass Bows. Every time I put a bow on Valentina she always asks "Aunt Hohry got it my bow?" I love her so much.
So, that is it for today. There are many things to be thankful for:
* CLEAN BONE SCAN!!!!! I know I've said this before but it truly is something to be grateful for every freakin' day
* The remainder of our family is healthy
* Our two, beautiful, miracle children
* Joshua. I cannot begin to tell you what a blessing it is to have Joshua in our family. Last time sissy had cancer we had her asshole (this is putting it mildly) ex-husband to contend with. Really, he was class A fucktard.
* Valentina is home. Waiting for her was one of the worst things I've ever been through
* We all have a roof over our heads and food on our table. This is something that papa didn't have growing up. Food, I mean. He used to go hungry every day. We are so fortunate.
* The beautiful sunny weather we've been having
* My faith has moved from a trickle back to a full board stream
* All of our amazing friends, family, other "family" members and the wonderful team of doctors sissy has
So, that is just a smattering of things that I'm thankful for at this moment. We have had the bottom of our lives drop out from under from us but I think we're starting to claw our way out.

11 comments:

Jaimee said...

Oh, just reading the title of your post makes my heart melt. What a sweet girl you have. I'm so glad to see that Trina is recovering from the surgery and that things are going as well as to be expected! I am continuing to pray and think about you guys daily.

-Jaimee

Krystal said...

I am so glad that Trina is recovering well. She looks fantastico for just having had surgery!! Love the intense look on Asa face as he is looking over his new soccer contract :)

Grama said...

So great to see TT looking good. In spite of everything she is beautiful.
Love that Valentina so much and Asa is so strong to go through all this stress and still be so into sports.
You are an amazing family.
Love you all so much.

Mandy said...

Trina looks fantastic! I am so thankfull that everything went well. The kiddos are absolutely adorable and the story of V saying she missed you -- melted my heart! We are all blessed indeed. Hugs to all of you.

JuJu - said...

love you and so happy to read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valerie said...

Glad you guys had a good day!

Logan has been saying some sweet things too, it just make mt geart melt.

burpittyburp said...

YEAH! Hugs to you and your family:)

Tracey said...

Kisses and hugs! Loves you so much! Give Sissy and the kids SQUEEZES from TS!!

"Aunt" kathy said...

Trina looks "radiant"...but again, I am so partial to her, because I have always thought she looked beautiful. every since I first met her, and her personality makes her even more of a beauty.
love the "Aunt Hohry got it my bow"
i can just hear valentina say this.
(i miss her so much).
again, Cameo dear, thank you for sharing.
love you so much girl.
Aunt Kathy

Kate @ Life As I Live It said...

Thanks for the update Cameo. So glad to hear Trina is doing well and recovering - she looks great! You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

~Kate

URBAN BLONDE said...

some times your posts just make me cry... your list of things to be thankful for touched me deeply. You have a beautiful sister Cameo and a beautiful heart!

you have such a wonderful family, praying hard for all of you

Hugs,
Carrie