We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, July 06, 2009

4th Of July Recap

The kiddo's in their matching shirts that sissy had bought them on sale last year. She also had a matching one only in gray.
Sissy was able to make it our house! Yay! She made it over around 3 pm and was able to stay all day! Poor thing was worn out and exhausted by 5 pm but they didn't go home until 10 pm, after we had let off all our fireworks. Of course the neighbors let off theirs until well after midnight.
Sissy was feeding Valentina pico de gallo by the spoonfuls, or chip fulls to be more accurate. The child loves her picoso food, just like her father. Yes, Valentina is out of her cute 4th outfit as she had taken a dip in the kiddie pool. She ended up just wearing her cover up the rest of the day. I also tested our pool and the water was great, a very swimable 78 degrees.
Norm bought those classic orange sherbet/vanilla ice cream cups with the wooden spoon. Ahhh..... nothing quite like it!

Norm and sissy in their matching hair do's, or lack of hair do's.

One of my favorite pictures ever.
Thank you so much for the prayers and good thoughts sent our way last night and into this morning. We are still waiting on the tumor marker numbers. Normal is 0-30. When sissy was diagnosed in the ER they were 170. When she started chemo they were over 800 and they haven't been checked since. Lord PLEASE help them to ok.
Poor mom, she had a really rough night and only slept about 2-3 hours last night. Then tonight, rather than going to sleep early, she had to go see some of papa's relatives that just came arrived in town from Texas, so mom and papa are making the 45 minute drive to see them tonight. I, however, am headed to bed by the unheard of hour of 9 pm. I'm hoping for a good 9 hours of sleep, provided Valentina doesn't give me too much trouble. She's been having uneven, odd sleeping patterns the past 10 days or so. Sometimes she'll sleep a solid 12 hours (last night, thank you God!) or be up for 3 hours in the middle of the night (please not tonight). No matter how little sleep she gets, she's always awake around 6:30 am every morning, she just does NOT like to sleep. Sleeping is not her thing, whereas I love and appreciate my sleep when I get it, given my sometimes insomnia.
Oh, here's a kicker for you. At sissy's first pre-chemo oncology appointment, the doctor felt her lymph glands in her neck and made mom and Josh feel how large they were. Josh started to panic as his are about the same size. He finally went to the doctor today as they aren't going down. The doctor is doing blood work on him to rule anything out. When mom told me this today, I just looked at her in amazement, shook my head and said "no. This cannot happen. I refuse to let this happen to anyone else. That would be too much to bear and it just can't. It just can't."
Lord, please help the tumor markers to have gone down tomorrow or at the very least to have stayed level. Please help Valentina to sleep all night and might I be as bold as to ask her to even sleep in a bit. Give us all the strength to deal with whatever the numbers are tomorrow and continue to give us the faith, strength and patience to continue to deal with our situation. Please help Josh's blood work to come back normal. Continue to help us see the miracles that You perform and that are all around us. Please give sissy a good nights sleep and help her to feel ok. Comfort Asa. Continue to keep us all safe and healthy. But most of all God, please heal sissy and allow her to live a long and healthy life.

10 comments:

Cameo said...

CORRECTION:
Mom just told me I had the tumor marker number wrong.

0-39 is normal
134 at diagnosis
805 at start of chemo

Lori said...

That picture of Jamie and Trina literally made me laugh out loud!! So cute!!

Lori said...

I am praying for you guys all the same things that you said in your last paragraph and I really believe that you CAN be bold and come before God and ask exactly what you want even if it's something that seems as simple as Vali sleeping in late. I'll pray for that for you too! Get some rest! Love you!

Sarah said...

Cameo... even though I don't regularly comment, I am praying for your entire family. Your faith and love will pull all of you through, of that I am certain!

Big hugs and prayers of support! I hope that you get the sleep you need to be strong for your beautiful family when you wake tomorrow.

Blessings...

Sarah and Sophie~Bug

Mandy said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed for good markers. I am glad that you all had such a great 4th. Love the picture of Norm and Trina. =)

Grama said...

I loved the pictures too especially the one of Asa and Trina. He is so beautiful and you can see how much he loves his Mum Mum. I Amen the prayer you said at the end and am praying that exact thing especially the long and healthy life and strength for all. Love you so much.

Tracey said...

AWWW...Sissy looks great! GI Jane-ish:)

I am praying levels are way down and that Josh is a-ok.

So glad you had all your family together for the 4th.

Loves you all...

mylene said...

Thanks for posting the pics and filling us in. I hope Josh is going to be okay. God bless all of you and i will see you soon.

nikki said...

Praying for good low markers, and for Josh. Sissy looks great in the pictures!!!

Valerie said...

Love the pics of the kids and their matching tee-shirts!

We also have neighboor shooing fireworks off at all hours of the night/early morning for about a week. If I find out who it is I plan on having a few words with them.

Glad everyone is doing ok. Ava's not a great sleeper either and goes in spruts of good sleep/bad sleep.