We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, July 30, 2009

Quick Update

I'm going to make this quick as I'm late for Big Brother, or as sissy likes to call it, her cancer escape.

Monday when sissy went in for a steroid and anti-nausea IV "booster", they couldn't get a blood return on her port. They scheduled her to have it looked at on Wednesday.

Tuesday sissy went in for new CT scans. We don't have the results yet, which means that the doctor will probably go over them with her on Monday at her next chemo treatment. I don't take that as good news.

Wednesday (yesterday) was the port check up. Turns out something got really wonky with it so they had to replace it. Her surgeon (the one that she has the cell number for and who called in to the office while he was on vacation in Europe to check in on her) wasn't the one to do the actual surgery, but WAS waiting for her in the waiting room. He went in to check on her and make sure she was ok. She is the same age as his daughter so I think there's a strong emotional attachment there. She loves him and he quite frankly adores her. Anyway, the doctor who did the port replacement said he had NEVER seen anything like this before. Yet another thing that shows that sissy is not quite "normal". Even her chemo nurse admitted that Trina gets all the "rare" side effects from chemo...... and then some.

Since they had to replace the port they told Trina they could either put the new one next to where the old one was, but at a higher infection risk, or put it on her left side. Yeah, sissy made the smart decision and had it put on her left side. However, she hated the scars she had with the first one and now she's doubly traumatized. She said she feels like she looks like Frankenstein. Poor thing. I feel so bad for her. I don't understand WHY she has to go through so much. She's had to go through hell already (prior cancer, bipolar, etc....) why this AGAIN?!?!

Today Josh's dad and his wife arrived from West Virginia. Asa had soccer and played a great game.

We are still in the midst of a heat wave although with a high today of only 100, it was 7 degrees cooler than yesterday. The water temperature in the pool was 90 yesterday. That's what the WATER was! It almost wasn't refreshing. Valentina is learning how to swim and has become a little fish, just like I am.

So that's about it. We have a busy weekend. Norm's grandma comes into town Saturday night. We're going to try to go to a Mexican Fiesta Saturday afternoon, mass and lunch on Sunday with grandma and then Norm starts a new job on Monday. Thank God he wasn't laid off!!! Starting in late spring he was saying that the job he was on was going to end around the first of June and things are really slow everywhere so he didn't know if he'd be working. Since unemployment is half of what he makes and we are able to just make do, I was a little worried, although after 05/03 it was really not a big blip on my radar. Still, money problems are money problems. Anyway, he managed to keep working at the current job and the end kept looking a little further away and closer to when things would be picking up. Today he called me and said the job ended -BUT- that he was being moved instead of laid off. MIRACLE!!!!! Thank you God! Now if God can just come through on the cancer end, life will really be good.

3 comments:

Trina G. said...

THANK YOU GOD! So happy about Norms job. I have been praying persistently about his job.

All will be well....we can do this all together.

I can't wait to see Vali swimming like a big girl. I loved seeing her today. She is so gorgeous.

I DO hate my port(s). Ugly

Grama said...

All my scars are hidden so I don't hate them. Rods are hidden too which is why his arms are dark and his body WHITE.
So thankful to hear God blessed in the job area. Now we keep waiting for the answer to the cancer prayers.
Hope to get to see Valentina swimming soon.
Keep seeing the blessings and you will make it through this ugliness.
Love you all so much.

Mandy said...

I am glad that Norm was able to me moved and not laid off that is a huge blessing. I am sorry to hear that Trina had to undergo another surgery but am glad that things are ok now. A pool that is 90 degrees would be like bathwater, I'm not sure I would enjoy that. I hope you all have a great weekend!