We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, July 20, 2009

Then And Now

Then: 07/20/07
Now: 07/20/09


Then: met Valentina for the very first time in Guatemala City at the Radisson
Now: have my girlie every day


Then: Trina was only able to see her niece 3000 miles away via webcam
Now: Trina gets to see her niece daily..... and Valentina points to her chest when she asks if TT is getting her medicine


Then: At 6 months old Valentina was about on par with a 3 month old
Now: Not only is she "caught up", she is advanced in some areas. For example, tonight Valentina had a few bites of banana left. I asked her if she wanted the rest of it and she answered that she wanted candy instead. I told her no, she can't have candy. Valentina looked at me earnestly, thought for a moment and came back with "I eat banana I have candy?"


Then: Trina's summer was ruined and she couldn't swim because of her broken toe
Now: Trina's summer is ruined and she can't swim due to Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer


Then: Papa didn't have a passport
Now: Papa doesn't have a passport


Then: I didn't bond with Valentina during visit trip and wondered if I ever would
Now: Valentina is my life and although she frustrates me, she makes me laugh and hearing her laugh is the best medicine for me


Then: Trina's hair was brown with blond highlights
Now: Trina has no hair


Then: I wondered why it had taken so long to get in to PGN and wondered if we would ever get OUT
Now: I wonder why cancer has taken over our lives again and if we'll get out intact


Then: I hated being separated from my family
Now: I am so grateful for every day that I have with my whole family and don't ever want to be apart from them again


Then: I had no idea what normal tumor markers were
Now: Tomorrow we will have new tumor marker numbers for sissy


Then: My family was the most important thing
Now: My family is the most important thing

5 comments:

URBAN BLONDE said...

Well said! :)

Hugs and Prayers to all, Praying for normal tumor markers tomorrow!

Carrie

Grama said...

I thank God that you have Asa and Valentina to bring joy and laughter into these extremely difficult times. Love you

Valerie said...

So sweet, touching and very true! If we didn't have Logan and Ava I think this cancer crap would of drove me nuts!

My Mom got her results back-all four areas were positive.

Trina G. said...

I love our family....look at all the challenges we face and we are still togther, happy and loving to each other.

Tracey said...

I love your family!!! Keep kickin ass as a family...nothing can break your bond!!!