We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, August 17, 2009

HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY SISSY!!!!!

My dearest Sissy,

Holy crap, you're 40!!!! My head tells me this but in my mind;

we are still the same kids that ran around the house, letting the screen door slam and having papa yell at us for that.

We are still the same kids that would lay in bed at night, prodding the other one to wake up mom and tell her we were hungry (when we weren't) just to see if she would get us cereal.

We are still the same kids that would lay in bed at night and thought it was a grand idea to slam my head against yours as hard as we could.

We are still the same kids would crack each other up over nothing and then would get the giggles and not be able to stop laughing.

We are still the same kids who rode in the incredibly uncomfortable back seat of the Camaro for the incredibly uncomfortable drive to California.

We are still the same kids who, when we would play, we'd pretend to pull in to the rest stop to "sleep for a few hours".

We are still the same kids who learned our work ethic alongside mom and papa in the summer picking cherries.

We are still the same kids who would go shopping in the BIG city of Wenatchee and think we were hot shit.

We are still the same kids who loved Jean Nicole.

We are still the same kids who would trade clothes with each other.

We are still the same kids who would make mix tapes by holding a tape recorder up to the stereo and try to be quiet so none of the background noise got on the tape.

So even though I know you are 40, I still think of you, and me, as being 14 and 8.

Now that we each have a miracle child, I see us in our kids.


When Asa chases Valentina I see you chasing me.

When Valentina giggles so hard she can't catch her breath because Asa is tickling her, I remember that breathless feeling from you tickling me.

When I see Asa and Valentina swimming in the pool I see you and I swimming in the Columbia River. And I sometimes can feel that big bulky orange life jacket that mom made us wear anytime we went in water that was higher than our knees.

When I see Asa say "thank you Valentina" I see you thanking me.

When I see Valentina hug Asa and say "I love you Asa" I can feel myself hugging you and reiterating my love to you.


Growing up, you were my best friend, even though we could fight with the best of them. Even when I would get frustrated with you, if anyone dared to mess with you they got worse than the horns, they got a pissed off sissy. It went both ways, too. I'll never forget how mad you got at the little brat who cut off the toes of my brand new Barbie. The sheer anger in your eyes showed me how much you loved me and how far you would go to protect me.
Our lives haven't been the easiest and we've had our fair share of struggles. But never have I ever felt like I was alone. I always knew you were there for me and tried to make you feel the same. Mom always said she would do whatever she could to make sure we stayed close. She didn't have to do anything but let us grow closer, which we definitely have. There are times when I can't tell where I leave off and you begin. If someone is friends with one of us they automatically have to be friends with both of us. We're a package deal. If someone pisses one of us off, they piss both of us off. Again, we're a package deal.

I've always known you are an amazingly strong woman and now everyone else is seeing what I see too. Your outer beauty is only eclipsed by your inner strength and peace. I learn so much from you every day, even the days I don't talk to you. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Has there been a day in the past 5 years that I haven't talked to you? I don't think so and I have the international phone bills to prove it!

Sissy, you are not just my best friend.......
You are not just my sister.........
You are not just the mother of my Asa..........
You are not just the TT to my daughter..........


You are my everything.


I love you so much and I look forward to the next 40 years with you.

12 comments:

Alaska Family said...

Happy birthday, Trina…

I love the way you worded that, Cameo…a lot of the things you say made me laugh, just because I can totally picture them, especially the one about the big bulky life jackets - what is it with moms? :)

Hope you guys have a great day, Love and miss you, praying for you always.

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful post. You two are lucky to have each other.

Happy Birthday Trina!!!!!!

Mandy said...

What a beautiful tribute to the strength of the bond the two of you share. Well done Cameo! Happy Birthday Trina!!

I consider it an honor to know both of you!

Grama said...

You are a great writer and you two have a great bond. Love you so much.
Happy Birthday Trina!!!
Love to all Hope you enjoy this day.

Sonia said...

Happy Birthday, Trina!! We love you so much! I hope you have many more wonderful birthdays.

Aunt Kathy said...

Happy Birthday Trina!!!!!many more blessings on you my dear.
oh Cameo, you express yourself on paper so well, you need to write a book.......
thanks for sharing, what a tribute to your sister.
always loving you
Aunt Kathy

Amanda said...

Simply beautiful Cameo! Much love to you and the birthday girl! :0)

mylene said...

How very beautiful! Happy birthday trina, and God bless you both. How fortunate you are to be so close. I love you both!

URBAN BLONDE said...

Happy Birthday Trina! Love and prayers to both of you!

Cameo, you have such a way with words you can bring tears to my dry eyes! I'm feel honoured to be able to peek in at your lovely family!

Hugs,
Carrie

Tracey said...

Happy Birthday T! What a lucky girl you are to have such an awesome Sissy and vise versa:)

Loves you all!

nikki said...

Happy Birthday Trina!!!!!

Beautiful post!!!!

melissa said...

What a beautiful message to your sister. You are both so blessed to have each other!