We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Liam

Please continue to say some prayers of comfort for James, Stacey, their three girls and the rest of their family.

For those of you who don't remember our what our connection to the Barrett family is, Norm and James were partners at work for a while. I don't know exactly how long, but a while. Maybe a year? As anyone knows, you can become quite close to the person you are working next to all day long. James and Norm also had another thing in common, they are both Irish. It was at Norm's company Christmas party that I finally met James and Stacey. The four of us played poker together at the gambling theme party. Stacey was almost 8 months pregnant with Liam at the time.

In April, James went to Norm and told him about this awesome beach condo rental he had won in an auction at his daughter's school. $100 for 3 nights! James and Stacey weren't able to use it so he offered it to Norm. We gratefully took it off their hands and as you all know, had a fabulous time together with my family. It's also forever etched in my mind as it was the last time we were all together without CANCER being stamped on our minds. I will be forever grateful to James and Stacey for this trip.

Liam was born on January 30th. About 2 1/2 months ago Norm came home and told me how sad he was for James, that Liam had been in and out of the hospital because he got sick and couldn't shake it. He also kept losing weight and the doctors were concerned about that. This went on for a few weeks. Every day at break time Norm would call me and I'd ask for any news on Liam. Two months ago James called Norm at home and told him the news, SCIDs, Severe Combined Immune Deficiency. Short story? Liam had no immune system. James took a leave of absence from work and Norm lost his good friend and work partner. James and Stacey relocated to Seattle and lived in the hospital the whole time Liam was undergoing treatment.

A benefit was planned for August 21st for the Barrett's. There was going to be a silent and oral auction to both help raise money for the family and raise awareness to this rare disease that Norm and I, and most people, have never heard of.

A few weeks ago Liam underwent a bone marrow transplant from his 3 year old sister. Things were supposed to be good. This was supposed to make Liam well.

Monday morning Liam lost his fight.

Thursday the family will have a Celebration of Liam's Life.

The family has bravely decided to go forward with the benefit to help educate people about this horrible disease that claimed Liam all too soon.

Please continue to pray for the family as now the hard work comes in as they try to go on without their Liam.

4 comments:

Sonia said...

I will be keeping their family in my prayers. How sad to lose a child. My heart goes out to their family.

Grama said...

It is so sad they lost their baby their only boy. I still have a hard time with loss like this. We are continuing our prayers for the family. I just can't imagine how hard it is to go on. Praying for strength fo all involved. Thanks for filling us in.

mylene said...

How sad. May God bless them in this time of sadness.

Alaska Family said...

We were also sad to read this new, we were praying for Liam, and will continue to pray for his family.