We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, August 03, 2009

Monday = Chemo Day = Oncology Day = CT Scan Results

Today sucks and sissy probably isn't even at the doctor's office yet.

She had a bad weekend, sick, etc.... but I need to get this heart wrenching Asa story down before I forget it.

Yesterday Norm and I took the kids to the Mexican Fiesta about an hours drive south of here. I really didn't want to go. Last year we had all gone and had a fantastic time. This year? Well, sissy was sick in bed. We didn't leave sissy's house with Asa until after 5 pm (V's bedtime is 6-ish). Mom and Papa came along too but drove themselves. Anyway, since Josh's dad and his wife have been in town from West Virginia, I've hardly seen Asa. I miss him terribly, as does Valentina. So it was a treat that even though we were going to the Fiesta under less than ideal circumstances, at least we had Asa with us. The kids talked, sang and just cracked us up the whole way down there. It was heaven.

Once we got there Valentina wanted to watch the dancers so mom and I stayed with her while papa and Norm went with Asa to check out the toys. About 10 minutes later we ran back into the guys and Asa had his toy; a machine gun. This was obviously a toy that Asa had wanted and was able to get without any female intervention since mom or I would have steered him toward something else. Anyway, Asa loved it and toted it around for the two hours we were there. Valentina picked out the most garish, unwieldy, massive package of cheap plastic "jewelry", tiara and click shoes. They both had a nice time and as we were leaving Asa remembered that sissy had told him to get her a present. Now the only reason Trina had told him that was because Asa was on the fence about going with us and though that might entice him to go. It worked and he went and then he decided he had to, indeed, bring home mum a present. He was looking around and all they had were various toys. At first he was going to get her a firetruck but I said that mum probably didn't need a firetruck. Then I spied some caps and told him that mum would like a new hat. He picked it out and then quietly handed me his beloved gun and said "ok, lets get the hat, I'll put back my gun for the hat." I have no idea how I managed not to break out sobbing when he said that. I just explained that his gun was his and that it was already paid for and that I would pay for mum's hat.

When we dropped off Asa I told Trina how Asa was willing to return his gun for her hat. She teared up and we both agreed that she has the kindest, sweetest boy. Ever.

Well, now that I'm crying again, I need to get ready. I'm calling Josh's dad and wife and inviting them over today. You see, if they come over, then I get my Asa as they are taking care of him today. Ahhhhh....... I'm so smart!

Oh, on the way home last night, it was after 9 pm by the time we got home. I changed Valentina into her PJ's before we left the Fiesta, thinking she would fall asleep by the time we got home. Yeah, RIGHT! She has missed Asa as much, if not MORE, than I have. They had both Norm and I laughing so hard the whole way home. Halfway home, Asa just out of the blue said "God, please help mum feel better and not so sick" to which Valentina replied "a-MEN!" and then they both recited "in nombre padre, hijo, espirto, sante, amen".

I love our kids.

11 comments:

mom of boys said...

You have and AMAZING FAMILY!!!......so that means that ASA couldn't be anything less. Just knowing your whole family, there isn't one of you that wouldn't give up anything you have for the other.....Asa was just living what he sees everyday in his life....For that you are truly blessed.....(now I'm crying)
Love to you all!

bodegalee said...

OMG.. that is sooo sweet.. Brought tears to my eyes. Praying for all of you today... Pls keep us posted. Thinking of you!

Lori said...

Your own little prayer warriors!

Mandy said...

What an incredibly sweet story!

melissa said...

What a great story. Great kids are a result of a great family. Your family is truly beautiful.

Mylene said...

That's beautiful. Kids sure are amazing, and still so connected to God...

Alaska Family said...

Awwwww....

Amanda and I are attempting to "learn" Spanish. We were reading your post and came to the spanish part, and after reading it very slowly, we were able to understand what Asa and Valentina said...that is so sweet.

Love you all.

Aunt Kathy said...

what an amazing young "man" Asa is
to be so willing to "sacrifice" something he liked just to be able to "give" to his mother.
this speaks volumes about his "character".
what a loving, thoughtful, little guy he is.
love to you all
Aunt Kathy

Grama said...

Crying my eyes out. I love those kids so much. How could God not answer this prayer? I agree that these kids are what you and Beya and TT have shown them. You are all unselfish and wonderful people. The guys too of course.
love you all so much.

Kim said...

What a wonderful story. Asa is an amazing little guy.

Kate @ Life As I Live It said...

What a sweetheart. Trina & you all have obviously taught him well. :)