We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My PSA

I love "Sex and the City". I even have the pink collectors edition of every single episode. I have the collectors edition of the movie (even though it kind of sucked). I love the character of Stanford Blatch.

But Willie Garson???

He's an asshole.

I read this on People.com the other day and was horrified by it. As if we adoptive parents (which I often forget I am) don't have enough shit to deal with and people thinking our kids are not our "real" kids, the dip shit has to say this?

With his heart set on a toddler, Garson, 45, was taken by surprise upon meeting Nathan during an adoption fair in Los Angeles. "It's like a pet fair – as horrifying as you can imagine," he recalls. "It was really hard. The 16-year-old fat, ugly kid, who has probably been to 30 of these, knows he's not going to get adopted. Like everything, cute wins." To that end, Garson was shocked that his son was still in the system. "I couldn't believe my kid was actually available for adoption," says the doting dad. "He's so cute and sweet."

You can read the whole article here but what I posted above is what really pissed me off.

Likening adoption to a "pet fair" is so horrific I don't even know where to begin. I still get asked if I picked out Valentina from a book. Yeah, the Guatemala 2007 catalog had a great selection! Give me a fucking break. Willie GAGson just sent the adoptive community back to the stone age.

I will admit, I am the most UN-PC person but still. A PET FAIR? And the quote about the "16 year old fat, ugly kid". Way to really respect children, asshole. The man isn't fit to adopt an animal much less a human being given his narrow minded view of things.

Willie Garson? I will not hesitate to lower myself to your level to say you are a despicable, arrogant, fucking idiot.

5 comments:

Grama said...

Incredible. I hate to think what his child will turn out like. How sad that people don't get that God sends our children to us in more than one way. Valentina is most definitely our real child no matter what anyone with no brain says. Again I don't think you picked her I think God created her for you (and all the rest of us). Love you so much.

Lilith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lilith said...

I'm going to get slaughtered for this, but he didn't say adoption was like a pet fair. He said an adoption FAIR was like a pet fair.

And in all honesty, I can see where he's coming from. Can you imagine how hard it is for those kids to go to those adoption fairs year after year. See the younger kids get adopted. I can't even begin to imagine how that wears on their self-esteem.

Granted his comments totally needed to be worded differently, I do understand where he was coming from.

Cameo said...

Lilith, I'm certainly not going to slaughter you over your comment. I know that I put myself out there for people who don't agree with me and quite frankly, I welcome people to give me their side of things. I'm grateful for your honesty, even though obviously we have different thoughts on the topic.

Hope things are going well with you!

Alleen said...

OMGosh. I can't think of anything to say.