We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Not Much

I feel like I need to post as someone emailed me and thought I had dropped off the face of the earth.

Sissy hasn't been feeling well the past 4-5 days. She went in for a boost on Friday and decided not to have them anymore. They don't really help and it's just more drugs in her system. Apparently the steroid and anti-nausea work as a chemical reaction when combined with the chemo drugs, therefor they don't really work when used alone. It really sucks that sissy has to feel shitty but I keep reminding her that her bad days now are how she used to feel on her good days a few months ago, at the start of chemo. It really is amazing how she keeps getting BETTER the longer the chemo goes on, instead of the other way around, as it typically is. Trina said she can feel the cancer leaving her body. Her doctor didn't even bother to take her tumor marker numbers last week. However, she will be doing chemo for the full six months, maybe a little longer. After that she will still be on one of the chemo drugs that targets cancer cells for another 3 months or so. AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT BEYA TELLS ME!!!!!! I get all my info second hand and sometimes mom "forgets" something.

Friday night Norm and I went to the benefit for Liam Barrett. I feel so bad for his parents, I can't imagine what they are going through. Now is when the hard work really comes in, trying to rebuild their lives without him. Please continue to pray for them.

Like I said, I really don't have a whole lot. Yesterday I was ready to beat my child. NOT REALLY, JUST KIDDING but man, she pushes my buttons. Like mom said, she knows where they are because she's just like me. Saturday night she woke up at 11:30 pm and I was up rocking her for a half hour. After that I draw the line and I told her that I was going back to bed and that she needed to stay in bed too. I said she didn't have to go to sleep, but that she had to stay in her bed and that I would leave the door open. I climbed back in bed and watched her on the monitor. She scooched all the way to the edge of her bed and then started to "cry", without tears. Then she pulled out her ace in the hole; "DADDY!" I swear, she hadn't even said the second syllable when Norm leaped out of bed and rushed to her rescue. There is something about fathers and their little girls. Oh, once he got to her the crocodile tears ran freely! I was in bed laughing to myself. She knows how to work him! I snuggled back in bed when next I knew, the kitchen light was on and Valentina was talking up a storm, running around the house at 12:30 am! WTF? This lasted about 10 minutes before Norm and V went back to her bedroom. You can guess what happened next; about 10 minutes later Norm comes back to bed....... WITH Valentina. That is a major no-no. I do NOT allow her to sleep with us. When she was sick I slept in her bed. I just do not want her to get used to sleeping with us. The next morning I asked Norm why he brought her to bed with us. "Because she wasn't going back to sleep." WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!!!! You had her running around the house, drinking juice and then you expect her to go right back to sleep? So Sunday I sat Valentina down and told her "tonight you are going to go to sleep, all by yourself in your bed and I'm going to sleep in my bed with daddy." Her reply? She smiled mischievously and said in a sing song voice:

V: I not going to!
me: oh yes you are!
V: I going to cry!
me: I don't care!
V: I not going to!

I managed to stifle my laughed until she left the room and then I lost it. We had the same conversation a few more times throughout the day so I could let her know that I was serious. Good news? She realizes that mama means what she says, I'm not a pushover like her father. She went to her bed no problem Sunday night and slept all night. We haven't had a problem since, other than she likes to wake up at 5:30 am. Ugh.

OH! My camera hasn't been quite the same since we all went to the beach in April. I got some sand in it and sometimes the lens won't retract, etc.... Well, it keeps getting worse and worse and now sometimes all the pictures are blurry no matter what I do. The sand just keeps making it worse and worse. Yesterday I pulled out our Best Buy folder and went through all our receipts and warranties. Sure enough, I found the one for our camera! I bought it in April 2007 along with..... A FOUR YEAR WARRANTY!!!!! SCORE!!!!! I love Best Buy and their extended warranties. So instead of being out another $300 all I have to do is pay for the new warranty on a new camera! We never leave Best Buy without their best and longest warranty, it has saved us thousands over the years.

Asa had his last soccer game on Thursday night. He scored 4 of the 5 goals his team made and they won the game! I'm so proud of him! He's come so far in the five seasons he's been playing. When he started soccer, the only rule they played by was "no touching the ball". Now? Now they all "mark up" (find an opposing player and try to block them), they have a "stopper" (goalie), play corner kicks and free kicks. I'm so proud of him! Next month he's having a USA soccer themed birthday party. Our first miracle child is going to be five. FIVE! I love him so much.

5 comments:

Alaska Family said...

So glad to "Hear" from you, we were beginning to think something was wrong. Glad to hear that everything seems to be going "Ok"! Sorry, but we got a good laugh about Valentina - especially about your conversation with her! Shes a smart one! Keeping you all in our prayers, love and miss you!

Tracey said...

My mom says A is just like me...boy was I a handful!!! I hope sleeping gets better. I think A is very close to a big girl bed...eeek my last baby out of a crib:(

What? Handsome is going to be 5?!!! Who gave him permission to grow up on us?

mylene said...

I am glad to hear from you as I was worried. Please give Trina my love and I still want to come over as soon as she feels well enough.

Hearing about Valentina reminds me of Emily! Boy that was so long ago. They grow up soooo fast. It's hard to believe my youngest baby is going to be getting her license. And you think they push your buttons now, just wait!

Grama said...

Love the post and I agree that Valentina knows how to push both your buttons and that Daddy is a pushover for tears. Glad you just talk to her and get things straight because she is smart enough to understand.
Can't wait to see all of you tomorrow. Praying that Trina feels better and am thanking God that she is getting better all the time.
Love to all.

Valerie said...

I hear you about sleeping issues. Ava is going to drive my crazy one of these days. I'm serious, I see a straight jacket somewhere in my life in the near future.

Tell Trina that we are thinking of her and praying for her daily... and you too!