We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, August 10, 2009

Sick, Getting Sick, Recovering From Sickness

That pretty much sums up our family right now. Friday morning sissy called me and asked me how I was feeling. I told her Thursday night I felt a little weird in my throat but other than that I felt great. She said she had felt the same thing, as did Josh. I told her that it was probably just allergies as when we get sick it always starts with just one of us and then it trickles down until all 8 of us have had it. The fact that three of us felt it at the same time was just due to allergies or the 30 degree temperature drop.

Wishful thinking.

Asa got it first. He was sick all day Saturday with a fever. Yesterday sissy came over and was feeling pretty good. This morning mom called me to see how I was feeling. Uh oh. Monday is chemo day. Mom and Joshua always go with sissy to chemo. I told mom I felt great. Turns out half of us were sick (mom, papa, Asa) and the other half were ok (sissy, Joshua, Norm, Valentina, me) with Asa breaking over to the other side of not being sick anymore. So I got to take sissy to chemo today while mom stayed home with Valentina (we didn't want to cross contaminate the kiddos) and Josh had Asa. Papa went to Goldendale. After I got home, Valentina started to feel wonky (she told me, I love that she uses the word wonky) and now I'm starting to feel a bit odd. Great. Sissy can NOT get sick or she has to go to the hospital.

Josh's dad and his wife left Saturday and I know that sissy pushed herself too much while they were here. I told her that she just can't have any more company until at least a month AFTER she is DONE with chemo. She just tries to go and go but she can't. She feels obligated to do that whenever anyone comes in from out of town and normally that's fine. Right now it is NOT fine. If I need to, I will get all "sissy bear" on her.

Valentina is already in bed, she went to sleep at 5:30 pm and I think I'm headed that way soon. I can't afford to get sick. I've been taking eichinacea, golden seal and vitamin C like crazy. We'll see.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I hope you all get better soon! Being sick is no fun, especially in the summer.

Grama said...

I hope you do keep company away from Sissy. I think allergies can make you feel wonky but she doesn't need to entertain right now unless she really wants to. I'm so glad she has such a great family to help her out.
Love you all so much.

Jaimee said...

I'm sorry you guys are sick, my family is sick too and I'm starting to feel it. UGH! I hope it goes away soon for all of us!!!

Sonia said...

Oh no! I'm praying you all feel better soon.

Valerie said...

I love that Valentina uses the word "wonky". That's too funny!

Hope you and everyone else feels better soon. I especially hope Trina doesn't get it!