We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Trina's 40th Birthday

About a month ago I went to mom and suggested a surprise birthday party for sissy. Three and a half months ago we had planned to be in Vegas for her birthday, partying up the big 4-0 but then 5/3 came and all our plans went to shit. I thought a surprise party would be something sissy would like, especially considering her birthday fell on a Tuesday, her best day of the week since it is the day after chemo. Mom kind of hemmed and hawed and thought that Trina would rather be in on the planning. She had mentioned wanting to do something in January, like a 40.5 birthday party. Okay, fine.

Thursday afternoon mom asked me how quickly I could plan a surprise party. Sure, I can do this. Oh, for Monday? Okay, that still gives me four days. Oh, wait, we better run this by Joshua. I called Josh and asked him what he thought. He was busy on his lunch break and told me he would call me back. I didn't hear from him so I assumed that he didn't like the idea. No biggie.

Sunday morning Josh called me back. A surprise birthday party for Trina sounded great! WHAT?!?! Now I had only 30 hours to pull this off. I fired off some emails and called the restaurant. Mom ran to the store to order the cake. We can do this, I thought. NOTHING will stand in the way of doing something for my sissy! Unfortunately some people couldn't make it due to the extremely short notice but we did have about 20 people show up.


The cake table. Sissy hates balloons so it was hard to not decorate with them as I put them everywhere at all my parties. Instead I used only colorful napkins to brighten up the cake table.


Someone looks like they are about to get into some mischief!



We have the best looking parents. Hell, they're the best parents period!
Asa was in heaven with his two best friends there.


Sissy was definitely surprised! Loopy from her chemo medication and groggy from a nap she had woken up from but surprised nonetheless.





I was starting to second guess myself halfway through the party but when Trina cried when everyone sang happy birthday to her, well, that was worth it. I just wanted her to be surrounded by people who love and support her and to know how much she means to all of us.

Someone enjoyed the cake and ice cream a bit too much!

Trina with her high school friend Danita. The fact that they've remained friends through all these years is wonderful. Danita is really part of our family.



Earlier in the day while sissy was at chemo I had the kids paint a bandanna (Valentina) and a baseball cap (Asa) as a birthday present. I didn't get a picture of Asa giving Trina the cap but this is her looking at the bandanna. Both kiddos put their hand prints on it.


The next day, Tuesday, on Sissy's real birthday, we all spent the day together. Poor Trina doesn't taste anything. The chemo has fucked with her taste buds and everything tastes shitty. However, she remembered this little hole in the wall diner that had good fish and chips. We went there for lunch and sure enough, it tasted shitty. And it was super expensive too! At least we had fun all being together and sitting outside in the perfect weather on a picnic table.






Our picnic table that we sat at for our $2863 meal.

Of course Asa had to do some modeling shots. I kid you not, he went up the tree and just started posing, all the while telling me "Sissy, take this picture. Sissy, doesn't this one look good?" He's a natural!



And no photo shoot would be complete without a soccer pose!
So that was how we celebrated sissy turning 40! Not quite the way any of us envisioned it, but still it was wonderful and we are blessed beyond belief. Once sissy kicks this cancer to the curb our lives really will be perfect. Perfectly crazy, but perfect nonetheless.

8 comments:

Mandy said...

What a great surprise for Trina! It looks like a wonderful time and Trina is beautiful as always.

Grama said...

love the pictures. Hope Trina is feeling good today. You did a great job on her birthday surprise and I love the hand print bandana. I bet she will cherish that and the baseball cap forever.

Trina G. said...

thank you for throwing me a great party Sissy. You are so amazing and I love you so much. You are my everything too :) I hope that you know that. Love the pictures too.

I'm napping now :)

Lori said...

Just having your sister with you to celebrate her birthday makes it an awesome celebration, right??? Who cares where you are! Still praying for her and you all. I love you! I'm really sorry and sad I couldn't be there but you know I was there in spirit. LOVE you ♥

nikki said...

Sounds like a great party.

You are an awesome sister!!!!!!

Nikki said...

That sounds like such a special surprise, it must have meant so much to her.

Nikki

Tracey said...

I wish I were there! I am so glad you all did that for her!! Your family is awesome!!

Valerie said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful day!

My Mom's tasted buds got meesed up too and some things still don't taste good and this is from last year. I wonder what this new treatment will do to her?