We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, September 07, 2009

Happy Labor Day

Mom is making food today and we may be BBQ'ing, I'm not sure. The weather is pretty crappy and things are never planned out with my family. Trina's in a lot of pain right now so we're not sure where we're going to have it either. Trina had wanted to do it at her house but I have no idea. This is quite a common thread with my family. One Thanksgiving we had no idea if we were going to go out to eat or make dinner. Seriously. We had everything on hand just in case we decided not to go out to brunch. We didn't make a decision until around 11 am Thanksgiving morning. Oh, but we had forgot to buy rolls and we are big bread people, literally, lol! As I mentioned, we didn't start to make dinner until later and we forgot about the bread even later in the day, after all the stores closed so Norm was running around the whole county trying to track down some dinner rolls at every convenience store. I think we ended up with hamburger buns, I'm not sure. Anyway, so this is a pattern with us. Plans? Pfftt, who needs plans?

The past few days Norm has been searching high and lo looking for a Barnes and Noble gift card he *knew* he had and was also positive that I had done something with. He was rifling through my desk (which drives me crazy because my desk is organized chaos and only I know where I have tucked things), going through his box of crap that is on the counter, basically ripping the house apart. He accused me of taking it, of spending it, etc.... I told him I would NOT have spent HIS gift card. Where did he finally find it? In a small box. HIS small box. Filled with HIS crap. So yeah, I took much delight in making him tell me I was right and he was wrong. He rarely will admit to doing anything wrong (Grama, I swear he's more and more like Rod!) so this was nice, heehee.....

Although Sunday = laundry day, Norm wanted to go out and spend his Barnes and Noble gift cards. So we decided to put off the laundry and have Family Fun Day. The three of us went to lunch and then B&N. Unfortunately Valentina fell asleep in the stroller and slept for at least 30-45 minutes. And what did we buy with Norm's B&N gift cards? Valentina picked out an Ariel paint set, I found a Pre-K work book for Asa (he loves those things), I chose a Frog and Toad book for myself (my grandpa used to read those to me so they have a lot of sentimental value to me) and Norm? Norm couldn't find anything! He bought a book on how to make knots. Knots. And this is his second book on how to make knots. For some reason that just hits me funny. The package he bought yesterday was all sealed up and it said on the front "Make Knots With Enclosed Rope. And BONUS Book Inside To Show You How!" So, what, you're buying the rope and the book on how to tie them is the BONUS?! Again, for some reason it hit me funny.

So we had a Family Fun Day and I ended up getting all the laundry done besides and the perfect end to the day was sissy and Asa coming over in the evening! Evenings are always better for Trina. She was supposed to have chemo today but since the clinic is closed they pushed it back to tomorrow.

I hope everyone is having a great Labor Day. Valerie, I'm so grateful your mom made it through all 12 of her treatments! I can't imagine how she feels. You are always in my prayers, as are a number of my fellow blogger friends and Guatemama's, especially the one who is still waiting for her 2 boys to come home.

Here's to Fall!

2 comments:

Alaska Family said...

As you know - plans arent very high on our priority list either. They seem to get in the way too much. We got a laugh out of Norms knot book and rope. I have to wonder: what could one possibly use a knot tying book for? :) Hope you all had a great weekend, and that Trina is feeling better. Your always in our thoughts and prayers. Love and miss you.

Rhonda said...

Cameo, tell Norm he doesn't need a book on knots. All he needs is a LITTLE Duct Tape. hahahaha