We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Weekend Update

Saturday the whole family (minus Joshua) packed up and headed to a park about 40 minutes away for Norm's Union Local picnic. It was really drizzly and instead of the 600 people that had RSVP'd, there were only about 200+. We had a great time! We figured we'd just go to eat and let the kids have some treats and head home. Sissy felt good and we ended up staying for about 4 hours.

Asa LOVED his cotton candy! I took about 20+ pictures of Asa eating his cone of cotton candy and if you look at them, it looks like a movie, the cone just gets smaller and smaller. This was after he finished it.
Beya took Valentina to have her face painted. Valentina waited so patiently and insisted on having a pink mariposa but there wasn't any pink paint. The face painter made a special butterfly and made a pink sparkle paint for her.


Sunday there was a Mexican/multi-cultural festival at papa's church so they and sissy took the kids. Here is Valentina all ready to go. I bought this outfit for her to wear to her birthday dinner (January 14) and she has REFUSED to wear it. Seriously. Every time I try to just try it on her, she kicks, screams and cries. Sunday I just pulled it out of the closet and put it on her. Nothing. No fighting, no fists flying, she was fine with it. Of course now it's borderline too small for her but I love it.
Yesterday sissy had a Feel Good Look Great (or something like that) cancer meeting. It was how to do makeup, wear a wig, tie scarves and other stuff like that. The makeup part was a total joke since sissy is a makeup artist. Seriously. Whenever I have to go somewhere nice (when I got married, Norm's Christmas party, etc...) I always have sissy do my makeup. Anyway, the woman running it was kind of bitchy but whatever. There was only one other chick there when there were supposed to be 5 or 6 people. Sissy cried when she talked to the other woman. She's 37, breast cancer, stage 1, doing chemo just for preventative measures, the exact same situation that sissy had been in her first time. Anyway, so, the whole thing was kind of cheesy and just cemented sissy's thoughts on group therapy or support groups; not for her. Now, that's not to say we didn't laugh! Oh no, this was sissy and me we're talking about!

They had a "wiglet" (my term) for sissy to try on. It's actually a "bang fringe" but wiglet sounds much funnier. Here it is worn on the front........

....... and here it is if you were to wear a baseball cap. I call it "grandpa's hair" as my grandpa had hair just around the back of his head, exactly like this only white.
And this is how it's supposed to look. Cute, but I'm not sure if sissy will ever wear it. She looks so pretty without hair that that's how I prefer her. That is our normal now.
Trina goes in tomorrow for her abdominal CT scan. The bone scans won't be done until Tuesday. Like mom says "the Lord's right hand has done mighty things. AMEN!" That's her saying. Papa goes around saying "amen" to anything good. It's funny because he just says it the same way you'd say "bless you" to someone who sneezes. Me? I'm the bitchy one who is telling God "you let me down before, you have to prove to me, beyond all reasonable doubt, that you're going to do what you've told mom and papa." I'm fiercely loyal and if someone lets down my sister or family, well, then I have hard time giving them a second chance. And if they fuck up a second chance then they are DONE for. I do not give third chances.

8 comments:

Cameo said...

Good news!!!! I had to go to my gyno today (TMI, I know but bear with me) and she knows all about Trina's situation. Anyway, she was asking me if Trina had felt the lump in her breast and if that's how they found the cancer. I explained that they found the liver first and had to search for the primary source. She told me that her husband's co-workers wife had the same thing happen to her. Her wrist kept hurting so she finally went to the doctor, they did x-rays, finally took tumor markers and found out it was breast cancer. By the time she was finally diagnosed it had spread to her liver, lymph nodes, bones, everywhere. End result? SHE'S FINE NOW!!! This happened MORE THAN 5 YEARS AGO!!!!!! No recurrance!!!! She's back to work and is fine and healthy. I almost cried I was so happy. We always hear the bad stories, or the ones with a shitty outcome. THIS was exactly what I needed to hear today!!!!

Gardenia said...

Hi. not sure how I found your blog, but I've been lurking here a while. I'm praying for Trina. and just figured out our daughters are the same age ,give or take some days. Valentina is a cutie..

Gardenia said...

ks for following me. I am following you too but it doesn't look as though you show followers on your blog. I grabbed your Praying for Trina button.

mylene said...

I am so glad Trina had a good day. She really does look great bald. Like sinead oconnor! your parents have the right attitude. Faith is miraculous. And the bible does say forgive 7 times 70 times... It helps bring peace. Love you and your family.

Grama said...

I so agree that Trina is beautiful without hair. Praying still for clean scans. Love to all.

Kate @ Life As I Live It said...

You're all in my thoughts & prayers, Cameo. I think of Trina every day when I see the yellow Livestrong bracelet on my wrist (which I put there in her honor).

Trina looks great and it's nice to see her smiling. Hugs to you all.

~Kate

Anonymous said...

I hope Trina didn't buy the "bang fringe", but if she did she can use it as a beard for Halloween. I love her bald head, she looks adorable. We're praying for her in California. We love and miss all of you. Aunt Margo.

auntrene said...

Oh Cameo, I wish that you would leave the comments on.. Some of us like to give words of encouragement to you.. Keep on being you.. Keep on loving Trina the way you do...
Remember, if you are down share it with us.. we are here to help you as much as "blogger buddies" can help... We are willing to listen to anything you have to say.
Take care..
Keep the faith