We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Friday, September 25, 2009

You CAN Go Back Home Again, If Home Is A Chinese Restaurant

Us girls (Beya, Trina and I) went out to lunch after running some errands. Grama had the kids and we were not going to waste the opportunity to have a bit of fun. So where did we go to lunch at?
Sissy and Beya at lunch.

Another beautiful shot of sissy bald. She looks amazing without hair! I can't believe it!
Mylene, do you recognize the place?


Maybe this will jog your memory.......

..... or this.


How about the food? Mongolian Beef, Broccoli with Garlic Sauce......


....... sweet and sour chicken and pan fried noodles. Give up? No, I am certain you know where we went. China Bowl, or as it's now known on their take out menus, "China Door (new China Bowl)". I could be wrong on the new name but they do say "new China Bowl" on them!!!
Man, that place holds some memories for all of us. Trina worked in the same complex waaaaay back when, she started in 1992, at least. It was very much a family run insurance company and her boss's were amazing while she went through chemo. One bright thing that has happened with this whole cancer clusterfuck is that we've been able to reconnect with old friends. People we hadn't seen hide nor hair of in years have come out of the woodwork to give sissy their support. THAT part has been lovely.
But China Bowl? China Bowl has some memories! I swear I could hear "Achtung Baby" play on a continuous loop in my head the whole time we were there. So many hung over lunches were had there, so many laughs, so many job discussions, so much life occurred in those walls that it was weird to go back. I walked down a bit to see what had become of the office that Trina had worked at for so long. I even worked there briefly and never did I have a better time working for anyone. It was sad to see that the office is closed up and for lease.
The office may be closed, the restaurant may be a new name, the food may be different but the memories? The memories stay the same.

I think this was Monday. Or Tuesday. I can't keep my days straight on sissy's weeks off from chemo. We need her to stay on chemo so we can tell which day is which! I thought Valentina looked so pretty in this headband (and I'm not a headband person). Of course I made the mistake of telling her how cute she looked so she promptly ripped it off her head and threw it on the ground.

Obviously we had to see how it looked on our resident baldy.

Even Asa got in on the action, briefly.

Here is Valentina eating some left over chicken salad... I think. Who knows what it was, it must still have been good since she ate it and didn't have any pooplosions so I guess everything turned out fine.





And is this picture not the cutest thing?
Tomorrow is Asa's 5th birthday. His party is Sunday but tomorrow at 8:58 am he was born. He's been wanting to hear that story quite a bit the past few weeks, even more so this week. I'll be writing it down tomorrow so he can just click on it and read it whenever he wants to when he gets older.
In just 23 hours and 16 minutes, my dear, amazingly strong big boy will be five. FIVE!!!!

3 comments:

Grama said...

Happy Birthday to Asa. Hope his party is fun fun fun.

Gardenia said...

your family has a great sense of humor. valentina is a cutie pie.

Jill said...

I cannot believe how gorwn up V looks..she has always been a cutie pie...but WOW, she is a PRETTY young lady! AMAZING...and amazing how much she is expressing in her face in every pic.

I love you guys. Hang in there...no advice, but know I am here if you need to fire off an email!