We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Full, Full, Full Full Full Day!!!

I had a great day today. I haven't downloaded the pictures yet so this will have to be a word only post. Deal with it.


So! Mom, sissy and I went to PF Changs for lunch today and had a great time! We laughed, enjoyed the food (too much), coffee and the server. It was perfect. Then we made a quick trek to Sur la Table and I bought a few things. That is always a fun store to peruse through. Grama had watched the kids and then Papa went to pick them up. Mom called to check in on them during lunch and Papa was pretty stoked to be taking them "out to dinner". Yes, he was treating them to McDonalds..... and eating inside! Now Papa never orders for himself in restaurants much less order for the kids at McDonalds so this was something we couldn't wait to hear about! Sissy was exhausted and feeling pretty nauseated by the time we headed home. Oh, yeah, you know that flu that everyone in our family has had? Yup, H1N1! We found that out at Asa's five year check up yesterday. The doctor was hell bent on giving the kids the vaccine and Trina said that they were just getting over the regular flu. He asked a few questions, asked what symptoms they had, etc... then he got up and as he was walking out the door he said "ok, they'll just have the regular flu shot since they already had H1N1." Trina and I just looked at each other quizzically and then back at the doctor. Trina said "swine flu? That's what we had?" He said yes. Trina asked him a few more times to make sure she heard correctly. Sure enough, Beya, Papa, Asa, Valentina, Joshua and sissy have had H1N1. Sissy got on Tamiflu less than 24 hours after her symptoms started so it's not as bad but still, H1N1 for a cancer patient could be super serious so we are thankful and see it as a miracle that she is doing as great as she is. Thank you God! The timing of it is truly the best as she had been off the Taxol long enough that it was out of her system and had only been on the Xeloda a few days so it hadn't had enough time to build up in her body. Miracle.


Anyway, so, Papa took the kids to dinner at McDonalds. We dropped off sissy at home and as I was backing out of the driveway mom called papa to see where the kids were (if they were still at McDonalds, at my house, etc) and papa said he had just dropped off both kids with Joshua. Stop. Put the car in drive. Pull back into sissy's driveway. Sure enough, there was Joshua with both kiddos. Of course we couldn't wait to hear how McDonalds had gone. Asa informed us that he had ordered for him and Valentina. It was the cutest thing! I had to role play with him to get the full story out of him:

me: Welcome to McDonalds. What can I get for you today?

Asa: I want a cheeseburger, plain, happy meal with a small fry and a toy.

me: and what to drink?

Asa: ice water.

me: anything else?

Asa: Valentina wants a cheeseburger with ketchup and a small fry with a girl toy.

me: and what to drink?

Asa: Valentina would like to drink apple juice.


It was probably the cutest thing I've ever heard! Oh, and he was so excited to tell us that the paper (receipt) even had his name on it! Asa is such a precious, wise, special, grown up boy. I love him so much. And Valentina? This morning I talked to mom and she had to talk to Valentina. I could hear mom on the other end of the phone tell Valentina that it was my birthday today. Valentina's face lit up like a Christmas tree and she just gasped "it is? Oh good!" Then mom said "can you tell mama happy birthday?" Again, Valentina's face was sheer happiness and glee when she exclaimed "happy birthday mama!" It was truly the best feeling I've ever had a mom. It was so pure and innocent and just full of love. My baby girl is so grown up and has really become my friend and one of my favorite people to hang out with. Even when she wakes up at 6:30 am, I look forward to sitting and having my coffee with her and talking together for a while. This time of year always makes me remember waiting to bring her home and how much I wanted her. I was telling mom about the other night when I was rocking Valentina to sleep in her room, how after her room was finished and decorated I had to keep the door shut. It was so painful to have this beautiful room all ready for my girl and not have my girl. It made me realize how much life she has brought to not just that room but to our whole house, lives and very souls.


Mom, Valentina and I left sissy's and on the way home Norm called me. He said "so I don't need to bring you home a card or anything, do I?" I laughed out loud. He replied "well, you told everyone else to not get you anything so I wanted to make sure you weren't going to be expecting anything from me." I just shook my head and told mom about the conversation after I hung up. About an hour later I had Valentina ready for bed and we were just hanging out on the couch when Norm walked though the front door......... his arms full with flowers, a Baskin Robbins grasshopper pie and something in a bag. Again, Valentina's face just lit up and when Norm said "this is for mama's birthday", she gasped "mama! This is for your birthday!" Norm handed me the bundle of two dozen roses which are a really cool dark red/black-ish color. Oh you should have seen Valentina. She had a ball running her hands all over them and saying how soft they were. I thought for sure she was going to pull the heads off the stems but she was having such a great time that I wasn't going to tell her to stop. The whole time I was just taking mental pictures thinking "this is what motherhood is all about." Norm came over to the couch and tried to hand me my card when Little Miss Grabby Hands intercepted it. She opened it, unfolded it, played with it, etc.... and I just laughed at her. It was about 10 minutes before I was able to finally read the sweet, thoughtful card my husband gave me.


So yes, I had the most perfect birthday. And it was wonderful waking up to about 30 birthday wishes on my Facebook page and about another 30 when I got home. Thank you all my Facebook friends!!! And thank you to my family, friends and friends that have become my family.


I was thinking this morning how truly blessed I am. If it weren't for cancer our lives would be perfect. But we can work and fight our way through cancer so again, I am so fortunate. I've always looked forward to my 30's. Even when I was a teenager and during my 20's, I always had a picture of what my 30's would look like. I saw myself as a mom, putting my kids ahead of me, knowing that my happiness would depend on theirs and realizing that life was so much more than what I wanted. That my life would be secondary to my family. I can honestly say that today I got the most joy out of having lunch with my mom and sissy, watching Valentina play with my birthday goodies and hearing about Asa ordering McDonalds. Yes, my 30's are everything I ever dreamed they could be.

4 comments:

Jaimee said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, my friend!!! You so deserve the wonderful day you had! I love reading your descriptions and how grown-up Asa is getting. It's been fun to follow your blog for 2 years now and watch your family grow! You're such a wonderful Mama and Tia for all the time you take to notice the small things. Here's another cheers to your bday!

Mandy said...

Reading this post made me so happy. I am go glad that you were bale to have such a full day surrounded by those you love. I love you and your family! Many hugs to all of you.

Grama said...

So many miracles in your life. I am so happy that you had a great birthday. Love you so much.

Valerie said...

I love this post!

Gotta tell you Logan always orders for himself at Taco Bell and always asks for, "one hard taco, one order nachos, one strawberry smoothie, and one SPORK!" LOL