We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, October 26, 2009

Well Well Well

Today Norm got to see first hand what my days consist of and he was tired just watching. The funny thing is, it was a pretty low key day. I'm quite sure he has a new appreciation of what it is that I do and exactly how hard I work at doing it.


Sissy had an appointment with her oncologist today and things are pretty good. He took her off the Avastin which was a drug that targets only cancer cells. The reason? It's only proven to work in tandem with the Taxol. He said he could keep her on it in hopes that it still works but that the side effects she had from it wasn't worth it considering it probably wouldn't work anyway. He also said he was very pleased with how well she looks and feels, especially considering the fact that she has the flu right now. Trina came down with it Friday night so Saturday she got a hold of the on call doctor was put on Tamiflu right away. The doctor also took her off the Xeloda while she's on the Tamiflu, but that will only be another two days. I saw her today and she looks great. She and Joshua even went out to dinner tonight. Oh, she'll continue to see her doctor every other week and go in once a month for a bone strengthener and a "boost" (anti nausea drip) as needed, but her regular chemo will be done at home by taking the Xeloda twice a day. Now we just keep our fingers crossed and pray that her side effects are kept to a minimum. Yeah right! Hey, we can hope, right?


Mom and I had a good talk this morning before she took sissy to the doctor. You know, I'm okay with sissy never being free from cancer. Just because she has it doesn't mean she will die from it. She could have it for 40 years and die from old age and yet still have cancer. Now I know the odds are against this and we have been told that this will not happen. But I say fuck that. I waffle on my faith all the time but right now I'm in a good space. I feel like things are working (even though we are waiting to find out if her new chemo is, in fact, working) and that sissy will be ok. The alternative just isn't acceptable.


I, knock on wood, have managed to escape the flu as has Norm, thank God! I keep taking Golden Seal, Eichincea (sp?) and telling myself "I don't have time to get sick, I don't have time to get sick."


Well, that's about it. Asa has his five year checkup tomorrow so Valentina and I will be taggng along. I'm dreading Valentina's three year checkup. She's very behind, book smarts wise. I have bought countless age appropriate work books, flashcards and tried working with her on know her alphabet and numbers by sight. She has NO INTEREST in it. When Asa was her age (and I know I shouldn't be comparing but I am anyway, deal with it) he could not just name all 50 states but he knew where they went, geographically, and knew about half of the capitals too. Asa is extremely book smart whereas Valentina is sneaky smart as in she can figure out how to cover her hand and steal a piece of candy right in front of me. She is just a very sly child who will argue her side of things until she makes total sense as to why things should be her way. See? Sneaky smart! I can tell already that Norm and I are in trouble once Valentina hits her teens. Hell, I'm sure she'll start early and start causing us panic attacks when she's eight. SCARY!!


So that is what we've been up to, just the same old, same old. Nice. We have a bit of normalcy in our lives and it's lovely!

4 comments:

JuJu - said...

As far as Miss V - she is GORGEOUS - she is going to need to have those kinds of smarts to make it in this crazy world. She may suprise you later. Some kids seem to be SUPER smart when they are young - and then - the lack of "street smarts" gets the best of them in life. Then - you see some kids - not interested in learning when they are young - but they have life figured out at a young age. THEY seem to be the ones that kick it in gear at a later time - and RULE:)
It is going to be a fun journey to sees what each of our kids learns - all the mountains they climb - and the strggles they over come -
I just thankful we all have each other to walk that journey with:)
I love all of you and oh yeah - Happy Early Birthday Gorgeous:)
Abby grace prays for "Bowateema" and "Tameedoe" every night when she puts her Jammies on;)

Grama said...

Elizabeth was like Valentina. Not interested in being taught at that age. Now she is a very smart young lady and doing real well so please don't "worry" about V. I believe she is very smart just not interested in doing things the same as everyone else. I like that. She takes after her Mom.
Love and prayers that this new med is the right one for TT.

Valerie said...

Logan is also like Valentina! He wants nothing to do with learning printing and his ABC's. He will be in kindergarten next fall. So, we will just keep on working on it. You can't force them to learn if they don't want to, until they are in the higher grades-LOL!
Happy Trina is feeling better! My Mom goes Monday to discuss starting chemo, yuck. Will let you know how it goes and everything.

intheworks said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!! We wish we could be there in person to say it, but we hope you had a good birthday, and really hope all the best for all of you this next year. *Hugs to you and Valentina too from us*