We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, October 22, 2009

Well........

First off, sissy updated her blog again. Since she can't type very well, I will fill you all in on the details of what happened yesterday.


Sissy's new chemo is Xeloda, a pill that she will take twice a day. She will also be on Avastin, which she will go in every other week to have administered along with her anti-nausea drips. Trina was so excited that her oncologist had given her an extra week off, meaning she didn't have to start chemo again until 11/02. Yesterday we had a wonderful day as our Aunt Jeanie was in town and we spent the day with her. Aunt Jeanie has been a real bright spot since sissy's diagnosis. We didn't talk to her much before, just because she's in Arizona and life gets busy but Jeanie has really reached out and emailed us, sent cards, flowers, etc... to let us all know she's thinking of us and really encourages all of us to go on fighting and that she loves us. Therefore it was great to see her yesterday and I hope to see her every time she visits our state. Besides, I have to say all this stuff since she reads my blog, JUST KIDDING!!!


So yesterday was good. Sissy and Asa hung out after Aunt Jeanie left and we were all talking about Trina's extra week off. Sissy was excited as her, Joshua and Asa had decided to get away Sunday. They were going to spend the night at the beach and just have a change of scenery. Trina told us that Josh was concerned about how aggressive her cancer is and having another week off. Mom said she saw both sides to it. I, amazingly enough, kept my mouth shut. Shocking, I know. So sissy decided to call her oncologist and left a message with his nurse saying that Josh was concerned to to see what her doctor thought. The nurse called sissy back and said that doctor wanted sissy to know that she needs to start her Xeloda as soon as she gets the script filled. Well, she got it Tuesday when she went to the pharmacy to pick up a different script.


Shit.


Sissy starts it today.


No beach weekend.


No extra week off.


No feeling better.


Trina just broke down crying and said how scared she was and how shitty it is that she has to give herself the poisonous chemo. I feel horrible for her. So yesterday was great, until this happened and then the whole mood took a turn, as it often does with cancer. BUT we had a great most of the day!


Sissy goes in today for an anti nausea drip and is going to take the Xeloda before she goes in so if she has an allergic reaction to it, she'll already be at the clinic. I feel horrible for her. I wish that she didn't have to do any of this. But I told mom that I'm relieved sissy doesn't have the week off and it wasn't up to her, the doctor made the decision for her.


So a new chemo starts today along with all sorts of new side effects. However, sissy has been able to drive the mile back and forth between our houses the past week or so. It's been very liberating for her just to be able to get in her car and drive. She hasn't been able to do that in 5 1/2 months.


And that is what is going on with us. Please pray for sissy as she starts this new drug and please continue to pray for my friend Mary and her brother Greg who has cancer.

And Valerie and her mom who has cancer.


And Jen and her daughter Aviana who has a brain injury.


And my cousin Kiffany and her mom.


And James and Stacey who lost Liam in August.


And my cousin Brittney who lost her dad.


And countless others who are hurting also.

I love my sissy so much.

4 comments:

Grama said...

I am hoping that TT won't have the side effects that she did from the other treatments. I'm so sorry she doesn't get to go to the beach this weekend but maybe soon??
Love and prayers to all of you.

Jen Hodder said...

I agree, I am happy to hear she started the new drug. I can't imagine how that must feel for her though. To actually have to swallow poison. I can imagine from her point of view wanting to have the week off. I am not her and not going through this first hand so I can see how she must have been devestated!!

Hugs and prayers to all of you : )

Love,

Jen

P.S. Thank you for Aviana's "shout out."

Mylene said...

God bless them all and God bless Trina. and God bless you...

Valerie said...

I'm happy she got to start the new med. I know she was looking forward to having the week off. I can see both sides of it and it's tough either way. Many prayers Trina that this new drug doesn't give her too many side effects. Love ya! And thanks for the extra prayers for me and my Mom. Cancer sucks!