We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Picture Pages

This is a PDPP, Past Due Picture Post. Does anyone remember "Picture Pages" with Bill Cosby? Am I showing my age by even bringing this up? Anyway, here are some pictures of our Halloween season.

The kiddo's in their matching Halloween PJ's. Too matchy match TS?
The kids at the Pumpkin Patch. This is a testament of how imperfections can be perfect. Trina and I had outfits picked out for the kids for our trip to the Pumpkin Patch. They were perfect Pumpkin Patch outfits. Really cute. Well, with this little thing called..... Pacific Northwest weather (you thought I was going to say cancer, didn't you?), we have to time our trips to the Pumpkin Patch kind of, well, not really plan then so much as "the rain stopped! Quick! Grab the kids! Change them into their cute Pumpkin Patch outfits!" and then that small detour called..... yes, cancer. Even if the weather was great, Trina might not feel well enough to go. Anyway, it was my birthday, we were at Trina's house, the kids were tired, they had spent the afternoon at Grama's house, etc... when mom suggested the Pumpkin Patch. Trina was sick, Josh was sick, we thought she was joking. She wasn't. Mom said she and papa would take the kids so Trina and Josh could stay at home. The weather was cold but not raining. It was getting late, about 4:30 pm. Pretty soon it would be getting dark. A decision had to be made; go or maybe not get the chance to make it before Halloween. Ok, mom and papa would take the kids. But their Pumpkin Patch outfits?! No time. In fact we had to hurry so Valentina had to borrow a sweatshirt from Asa. It turned out mom couldn't get a hold of papa so mom and I took the kids.... and at the last second Trina decided to go also. So off we went, neither kid in their Pumpkin Patch outfit, we were harried, it was cold, it was close to getting dark, and we made wonderful memories!
Friday night after we went trick or treating at some local business's we did the family rounds, i.e. Grama's and Auntie Lori's.
Grama, of course, had not just candy for the kids but presents as well.
This was so sweet. We went to Auntie Lori's and she had a big bowl made up for each kid full of candy, toys and little treats. Asa saw the bowl and politely took one piece of candy. Lori was so touched and we all thought it was pretty precious of Asa. Even after Lori told Asa the whole bowl was for him he methodically went through and put each piece of candy in his trick or treat bucket.
Lori, this was the best pic I got.
Halloween afternoon we set about carving our pumpkins. This was the pattern I picked to use on my pumpkin........
...... and my end result. Yeah, after I traced the whole damn thing I spent about 15 minutes carving and gave up. I turned the pumpkin around and butchered a "V" for Valentina on the other side.
Before we went trick or treating around the neighborhood. The kids were having a great time eating tons of sugar in all it's forms, including spun.


I had different post written up in my head yesterday. It was a very dark, emotional, cancery post. Yesterday was not my finest hour. No matter how shitty I feel I still shield the kids from it, which at times makes it worse because I save these feelings until they get too pent up and then they run out onto my blog.... or to my friends. Poor Jen, Aviana's mom, was on the receiving end of my venting email last night. I should be there for her and instead I unload on her. Just another testament as to what an amazing person she is.


So yesterday was yesterday, today is today. I woke up rested for the first time in a while. Valentina slept in until 6:53 am! I was so happy! So I have filed my dark and twisty cancer post (anyone catch the Grey's Anatomy nod) for now. That's not to say that it won't show up when I'm having another bad day. But today? Today dark and twisty cancer post is postponed.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Some observations:

1. LOVED Picture Pages with Bill Cosby - guess I'm old too. :)

2. I don't think the pjs were matchy matchy - and I don't like matchy matchy

3. Are you CRAZY? (wait - don't answer that) What would ever possess you to try to carve that pumpkin. I can't even do a face without wanting to throw the whole thing out the window. :)

4. Venting to friends is what friends are for.

5. Glad Miss V slept in for you!!!

Valerie said...

Picture pages, picture pages, picture pages, time to get your crayons and your penciles! My middle sis, Kim, me and my Mom were just talking about that this past Saturday!
Love the pics and the pumpkins. You did a better job at carving than I ever could.
Feel free to vent to us, that's why we are your friends and are here for you (and each other). Hugs!

Tracey said...

TS says...cute matchy matchy! I think jammies can always be matchy! The matchy matchy I don't like is like argyle sweater with socks and a bow tie that all match...then a dress on the other kid that has all the same colors and designs:)

Alaska Family said...

Cute pictures! We always enjoy them. We can sympathize with your pumpkin creation. I think you did a good job! This year, we all carved our own pumpkin - mini ones at that...we ended up with a few odd ones, thats for sure! Love you!

Lori said...

Loved the picture and saved it to my Halloween folder on my computer so it will go floating by on my screen saver like the other years. Thanks! And I LOVE cotton candy too! Glad they liked it! Thanks again for coming all the way to my house for me! LOVE you guys!♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Lori said...

PS Is that the old Storm Trooper costume still hanging in there@#1 LOVE that!!