We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, December 28, 2009

Hope Again!

We have hope again!

Trina didn't start chemo today as there was a mixup, she wasn't on the schedule and they were short an infusion nurse so they couldn't squeeze her in. Wednesday sissy goes in for bloodwork and Thursday she is set up to start chemo and get tumor marker numbers.

The doctor reviewed her bone scan with her and it came back not too bad! In fact it's not even as bad as her worst one, shortly after she started chemo. The spot on her skull is even smaller than before.

Almost a week ago, out of the blue while Trina was over, she started having vision problems in her left eye. Of course we all thought the same thing at the same time; brain tumor. The doctor told her no, it's not a brain tumor, probably a side effect from one or more of her medications. It could be a build up of the meds and just one of those things. Like I've said before, sissy gets every fucking side effect..... and THEN some, which is sooooo not fun for her but as long as it's not a brain tumor, well, then we can deal with it. I know, easy for me to say since it's not me but trust me, anything that happens to her happens to all of us.

Trina has also lost another 10 lbs which makes her total 20 since she started chemo which is not great but still ok. Most of the time she can't keep anything down, she has to eat small quantities very slowly and even then she will usually throw it up. Most things sound vile to her and she has to take her meds with food, which is difficult.

Christmas was extremely hard. Trina was in horrible pain, scared, emotional and at one point I walked into the family room to find her and mom just sobbing on the couch. I did a quick 180 and went back into the living room and tried to keep the kids occupied so they didn't go in there. A Christmas with cancer is very, very different than a Christmas without cancer. And yet we were so very, very thankful that sissy was there, period.

But after today, we have hope again! That's not to say everything is rosy, the cancer is gone and it's going to be an easy road. It won't. It will suck again and there will be good days, there will be shitty days. But to have hope again is something that is wonderful!

So in case I don't post again before the weekend,

Here's to a better 2010!!!!!

Not just for us, but for so many people who have had a difficult year including (but not limited to):

The Barrett Family
Jen, Dave and Aviana
Mary and her dearly departed brother Greg's family
Valerie and her mom
Krystal
Lisa
Ann W. (Shirley)
Lori and Tim
Ana
Brittney
Kiffany
Kim P.
Becky F.


and to everyone else I'm forgetting, please forgive me.

And above all else, sissy, Beya and I would like to thank everyone for all the prayers, well wishes, positive energy, good thoughts and the friendships we've all made during this shitstorm of a year.

Thank you!

6 comments:

Jen Hodder said...

Cameo~ Oh my gosh, I had the hugest smile on my face when I read the title to your post! I am so glad your day went better than expected! I am so happy for Sissy. After reading about Sissy's mood over Christmas, I prayed that she would not take another "blow" so fast

Thinking of you guys always.

Love,

Jen

P.S. thanks for the "shout out."

Crystal said...

ooooh my sweet Cameo I just LOVE you and your family!!!! Love this post! So SO SO happy you have HOPE!!!!! ((((HUGS))))) to you all!!! xoxoxoxo

Grama said...

So glad to hear Trina is feeling better. We have so much hope for her. I'm so sorry this is so hard on your whole family. As always you are in my prayers.
Love you

Madelyn's Mommy said...

Hope is a good thing! So happy to hear that. We are continuing to pray for you and your family.

Andrea

Lori said...

Thank you Cameo. Join me in saying F off 2009, we're glad to see you go! Here's to hoping 2010 is better!

URBAN BLONDE said...

Here's to HOPE! My favourite 4 letter word after LOVE!

Here's to a HAPPY, HEALTHY 2010! Love and prayers to all!