We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Sunday, February 21, 2010

Number One

I've talked about the dumb things I've heard from "well meaning people". I say that in quotes because sometimes they aren't that well meaning so much as self serving. Anyway, I heard it. I heard THE number one, dumbshit, jaw dropping remark. And it came from my neighbor so I couldn't very well do what I wanted to do which was give her a killer upper cut that caused her to buckle to her knees. Actually I couldn't believe it so I had no comeback. It's like when I used to get those dumbass comments about Valentina, "is she speaking English yet" or "who are her real parents" or "she's not a BLOOD relative". In the beginning I was so shocked at hearing those things I didn't have time to think. Now? Oh man, now I have a retort for every conceivable thing said. But now, just like then, I was rendered speechless which as you all know is pretty rare for me. So, what was the comment?

"Oh, I'm so glad God knows I couldn't handle losing one of my sisters. I'm too close and love them too much."

10 comments:

Deb said...

WOW- do you need one of us to come smack her? that comment is jsut so wrong on so many levels. I am so sorry that you have to deal with a comment like that. Some people are beyond clueless.

Love and hugs to you,
Deb

wy-not said...

uhhh! Cameo! For all the grief I've known, and for all the losses my friends and family have suffered - I have NEVER heard anything that remotely compares with that!!! Is she a loon all the time, or was this just her special LOON day? Cameo, I really want to punch her in the nose for you. Oh the temptation to say - to say I don't know what. There is no comeback for such ignorance. If anybody comes up with a rich response, I hope you'll post it because I'd love to hear it.

And people actually said those things about Vali? Jeee-zuz, did you punch them out yet?

(I keep thinking about you and sissie every time the U.S. gets another gold - and they're getting lots of them.)

Praying for strength for you and your family...

Sandy (jaw still hanging in shock and amazement!)

The Vuki Family said...

You know what? It will happen to her one day....though you never wish that upon anyone it will happen. Before my little sister died, I thought Death only happens to other people not me. Well, I was wrong. Losing my sister was and still is 4 yrs. later very saddening to my heart. As people sometimes we need to repeat in our minds what our comments are before opening our mouths. I'm sorry for that. Could she have dug the knife in a little deeper right? She won't get it until she loses someone very dear to her. Hang in there! Maybe you could sit on her next time...I sure would!

Nicole R. said...

WHAT THE HECK - CAMEO go kick her butt; you know what, she is not worth the time or effort. very sad, i'm sorry you had to listen to that comment! as another Guat mom too - don't you love the friggin spanish comments?! DUH. cameo... always thinking of you sweetie and your family! love you!

Kathy said...

My personal opinion you should have knocked her right on her A__, oops I better just say butt! How totally insensitive of her to say that!! Some people really do need to 'think' before they speak.

Think about you all often! Sending lots of love and hugs your way...

Your friend Kathy from H.R.

Patti B. said...

Your neighbor? I would expect that she was aware of all the time your family spends together...and how close you all are. What a shame that people are so ignorant. I can only hope she is really clueless and wasn't trying to be intentionally - albeit indirectly - so insensitive...Sorry you had to go through that.

Suzanne said...

What an idiot!

Lilith said...

That has got to be one of the dumbest, most inconsiderate things I have ever heard of anyone saying!

wy-not said...

I have stayed awake at night trying to come up with a comeback, but have now realized – there just isn't one. A very close friend of mine, just 24 years of age, died 24 years ago yesterday at the hands of a drunk driver. I have a standing date with her mother on that sad anniversary day. Yesterday, I was telling her about your insensitive twit of a neighbour, and she told me that after Michelle died, a church friend of hers said, "Oh Jeannie, I know exactly how you feel, because I felt the same way when my dog died."

That kind of insensitivity and stupidity is utterly stunning, isn't it!

Sandy

URBAN BLONDE said...

Karma's a bitch Cameo and that hag is going to taste it soon.

Sorry you had to put up with that kind of shit along with the Valentina BS comments. That baby girl of yours couldn't look more like you if she'd been cloned. Also look at Trina's pic on the sideline and compare to Valentina's first birthday pic in the last post, can we say related?!

Hugs
xx