We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Open Letter To The Bitch At The Dental Office

I took Asa to the dentist yesterday and this is the letter I'm sending to the office in response to our experience.

Dear Rita [not her real name],

My five year old nephew Asa is an existing patient and has been to your office approximately three times. My sister highly recommended your office so my three year old daughter, Valentina, is also a patient and has been there once. Our past experiences have always been wonderful and the staff was always supportive when my sister would go in with her son and would give her encouraging words in her battle with cancer.

Sadly my sister passed away in January.

On March 9th I brought Asa for his first checkup without his mom. He was very apprehensive and nervous but I assured him all would be fine as everything had been in the past.

Nora [not her real name] was the one who cleaned his teeth and she was, in a word, horrible.

I had reminded Asa in the waiting room that he would be able to pick out the flavor of toothpaste and he was excited to do that. Asa put on the sunglasses, laid back in the chair and then became emotional and tried to stifle his tears. Nora, instead of being compassionate as I would expect someone who works in a pediatric dental office would be, barked at him “kids who cry don’t get prizes afterwards!” Asa then remembered that he wanted bubble gum flavored toothpaste and asked for it. Nora sighed heavily and reluctantly got up to get it.

Asa has a strong gag reflex and did spit when she first started working on his teeth. I assure you this was not mean spirited and strictly due to him feeling as if he were choking. Nora barked at him twice to stop spitting and told him that he was not nice. Again, Asa was not spitting at her, he was simply responding to his gag reflex.

After Asa picked out his toys I had my mother take the children out to the car so that I could talk to Nora in private. I explained to her that Asa was nervous because this was the first time he had to come to the dentist without his mom who had just died. She responded by coldly staring at me. I continued on and told her that I felt that she did not treat Asa with the kindness that we are used to in your office. Nora aggressively and defensively retorted by saying simply “I’m just doing my job!” I again reiterated that I felt that we did not receive the same service that we have in the past and Nora just stood there. I told her that I was going to request that she never work on either child and she appeared very annoyed and said again, more forcefully “I’m just doing my job!”

Had this been my first time to your office I would not only never return but I would openly discourage anyone I know from ever visiting you. I am hopeful this was simply a bad experience confined to the unprofessionalism of Nora but am still very displeased with the service we received on such a difficult and delicate day for my five year old nephew.

Sincerely,

Cameo

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Poor Asa!! Who in their right mind would treat a little 5 year old that way....how (excuse my language) freaking RUDE! Whether she was just having a bad day or whatever her problem was, she definitely had no right treating Asa that way or any other patient for that matter. It certainly would make me think twice about going back there again. I hope it doesn't cause him too much fret and concern going back to the dentist next time - the poor little sweetie! I'm so glad you're speaking your mind and sending them a letter! That woman is definitely working in the wrong profession!

By the way...it is so nice to see you back, even if it might just be to show us your letter. I really have missed you! I think about you and your family a lot!

Hugs,
From your friend Kathy from HR

wy-not said...

Cameo, that was inexcusable behaviour from this woman. If that is a pediatric clinic, she's in the wrong place. She should certainly not be working with children. They are so easily scarred for life by dental trauma. I'm so glad you're sending this letter!!!

God, you poor kid. That something like this would happen on the second month anniversary of Trina's passing just levels me! My heart goes out to you. I think about you and your family every single day.

(((Hugs)))

Sandy

Ansley said...

Some people should just never be allowed to work with children. Something tells me she's awful to all children under any circumstances, but the fact that she was like that with Asa and wasn't at all apologetic when she heard what he's been going through is appalling. I'm so glad you wrote to the office. They really need to know how awful she is with kids. (I wouldn't want her to clean my teeth either, for that matter.)So sorry you all had to go through that.