We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, November 15, 2010

Tell Me Again About The Night I Was Born

One of the first books I bought while assembling our dossier was "Tell Me Again About The Night I Was Born" by Jamie Lee Curtis. I read it to Asa while waiting for Valentina to come home. I've read it a few times to both of them at the same time, however, both Asa and Valentina much prefer to hear the actual stories of their births. I'm writing them down here so I can always have them on "paper" and I'm doing this more for them than for anyone else so feel free to skip this. Otherwise grab a cup of coffee and settle in for two very different stories. Keep in mind that this is me talking to the kids.



ASA

For some reason mum and I thought you were going to be born early. Her due date was September 25th but we expected you any time after her birthday. I think that was just because we couldn't wait to see you and hold you! Saturday morning around 9 am your mom called me to say she was in labor and had been having contractions, which is kind of like stomach pains to let you know the baby is going to be born soon, for the past hour. And guess what day it was, September 25th! Only 2% of babies are born on their due dates! So your mom was really calm and said she was going to wait a while until she went to the hospital. I was so excited I called Grama and told her to tell everyone. I tried to stay busy and Beya came over to my apartment, this was before we had our house, to wait. We were both so excited! Around 11 am mum mum called me and said her and daddy were going to go to the hospital. I said I would meet her there but she said no, she wanted to wait until she knew for sure that this was it and that she would call me when it was ok to come. Beya and I waited and waited. More than an hour went by and we didn't get a call. We were getting angry and upset thinking that you were being born and we weren't there for it! It was about 12:30 pm and I was so upset when the front door opened and it was your mom! And she was still pregnant! And she wanted a sandwich! Beya and I were so surprised to see her. I made her a cheese sandwich right away and she got on the treadmill to walk, like the doctor told her to. They said she was in labor but not that you weren't ready to come out yet. Every once in a while mum would get a contraction and she would stop eating and bend over and then it would pass and she would eat again and start walking again. Finally she said her and daddy were going to go home and wait. Your mom and dad were in the middle of moving too! They were living in a beautiful THREE STORY townhouse by the river and were moving into a condo right next to my work, which was when I still worked. I waited all day long and talked to your mom a few times and finally around 9 pm she called me to tell me that she was going to the hospital again, that she couldn't wait anymore. I waited until she was all set up in her room and went to see her. It was about 10:30 at night. Once Beya and I got there your dad went home to pack up some more stuff. We waited and waited. Around 1:30 in the morning, Sunday morning, which was really the middle of the night, your dad came back to the hospital and mum mum told me to go home and get some rest, that she would need me more once you were finally born. So I went home and went to bed. And laid in bed. With my eyes open. I couldn't get to sleep I was still too excited. So after a little bit I got back up and called your dad and told him I was coming back to the hospital. He was hungry and told me to bring him a sandwich so I did. I got back to the hospital around 3 am, right after your mom got the epidural, which is a shot they give you in your back so that you don't hurt when the contractions come. I felt much better being with your mom and Beya was already there. I guess I fell asleep because the next thing I knew it was about 7 am and everyone was laughing at me. I had been snoring really loudly! You still weren't coming so the doctor gave your mom something to MAKE you come out! You were just all cozy and warm inside mum mum's tummy! Finally you were ready to come out and at 8:58 am on Sunday, September 26th, you were born! You were 18 3/4 inches long and 6 pounds 10 ounces. I cried and cried when you were born! I felt instant love for you and just love you so much that I knew right that minute that I would do ANYTHING for you!!! I thought you were the most beautiful baby I had ever seen, even though looking back you were kind of funny looking! My heart felt like it was going to explode because I loved you so much, and still do! You were just absolutely perfect! The next day I was supposed to work but I took the day off and sat in the hospital next to your mom the whole day, holding you while your mom slept. Dad and Beya were trying to get everything moved! I just held you and cried sometimes because I loved you so much. I watched you sleep and thought each little move you made was so cute and just amazing! And you would yawn and it was so cute. I sat there the whole day, just holding you. And then when you went home the next day, or the next, I can't remember, you didn't have any clothes! There were boxes and drawers and closets of clothes for you... but nothing fit because you were so tiny! So I had to run out and buy preemie clothes for you, everything else was too big on you! And that, my dear Asa boy, is the story of how you were born.

VALENTINA

Once upon a time there was a woman who had a baby in her tummy. The baby that was born was Princess Valentina. Afterwards Princess Valentina lived in the orphanage where all the other babies waited for their families to come and get them. Oh how I couldn't wait to bring you home! Finally one day we got a call saying "it's time to come and get your baby girl! All the paperwork is done!" so Beya and I got on a plane and flew to Guatemala City! We were so excited to finally get our baby girl! We got there late Thursday night and the next day was Friday. We got ready and were all dressed and waiting for you. We talked to TT on the computer and we waited and waited. I was so nervous and excited, I was FINALLY going to have my girl!! A nice man went to the orphanage to get you and bring you to the hotel. Pretty soon the hotel called our room and said "there's a man here to see you!" Beya and I ran to the elevator and went down the elevator. The doors opened and there was Pedro, holding you! I grabbed you and was so happy to finally have you! I held you the whole time going back up to our room and I was looking at you, so happy to have you. We got back to the room and Pedro and I went over your paperwork while Beya made you a bottle because you were hungry. Pedro left and I sat down and held you and gave you your bottle. You were so hungry! I was so glad to be holding you. And then we got on the computer and TT, Papa, Grama and Asa watched you. I had brought so many toys for you and guess what you loved to play with, a comb and a piece of paper!!! After a couple of days daddy came. The next day we all went to the American Embassy in Guatemala City. The man looked at our paper and asked us "do you promise to take good care of Princess Valentina?" Oh we told him yes, we will take VERY good care of Princess Valentina! We couldn't wait to bring you home. The man said "I can tell you love Princess Valentina and you can take her home and take very good care of her and love her." We had to wait a few days for your Visa and the very next day was Thanksgiving. We went to another hotel for dinner and you slept almost the whole time! The next day Pedro came and brought us the last of the paperwork and we packed up to go home! The next day we got on a plane to come home! We got off the plane in the airport and TT called me on my phone. We had to walk a long ways through the airport and TT told me to tell her when we came to a corner. I told her we were coming up to the corner and when we went around there was TT, Papa, Grama and Asa! They were holding a big banner that said "Welcome Home Valentina!" Everyone cried and was so happy to have you home! TT drove us home and you cried in the car seat. You weren't used to being in a car seat. We got home and Amanda came over with pizza! It was Beya's birthday and we were all so happy to be home. Auntie Lori and Great Grama came over. Asa kept kissing your feet and saying "I'm so glad you're home Vawentina! I love you Vawentina!" TT held you and kissed you and carried you. Then you went to sleep in your crib in your beautiful new room. TT and Asa spent the night and that is the story of when Princess Valentina came home.

2 comments:

Grama said...

Loved reading these. They brought back some wonderful memories. It doesn't seem possible that that was almost 3 years ago.
Thanks for sharing.

Grandma Kathy said...

Ahhhh two very sweet stories - I loved reading about how both of your little sweeties were born. Thanks for sharing it with us Cameo. They are both so lucky to have you - you are truly amazing!