We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Unconventional Holiday

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. It also happens to be mom's birthday. Mom was born on her parents wedding anniversary and when we came home from Guatemala with Valentina on November 25, 2007 it was just another way of keeping this date "in the family" so to speak. This date has had meaning in our family for the past 85-90 years, I'm not sure the year my grandparents got married.

November 25, 2010 is a date unlike any other.

We've been struggling to find something to do for Thanksgiving this year. Do we go out? Do we go to a family members? Do we stay home and cook? That last question was answered in about 3 seconds since mom and I both felt like vomiting every time we thought of cooking a Thanksgiving meal.

So what to do, what to do, what to do. We finally came to a decision today.

Joshua, Asa and papa are going to Josh's side of the family.

Norm and Valentina are going to his mom's side of the family.

The birthday girl and I are hibernating at my house. I'm making pizza. We've rented "The Hangover", "Borat" and "Bruno".

An unconventional "holiday" indeed.

Mom and I are grieving in such a similar way that we find such comfort with each other. When one of us breaks down the other knows not only why but what triggered the breakdown whether it was a commercial, a phrase, a memory, a song or even nothing at all.

So that is what I will be doing tomorrow and I am so very thankful for my mom.

1 comment:

Beya said...

I am so very thankful that I have you. You are my strength!!!! I love you more than words can say!!!