We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Void Of Adenoids And Tonsil-less

Valentina had her tonsils and adenoids out on Tuesday. She was a little scared but did great in pre-op. We had bought her a new pair of PJ's and the night before she was very excited because she was looking forward to getting her presents.... and wearing pajamas ALL DAY!!! (her words, not mine). The doctor explained everything and told me the surgery would take about an hour so I figured it would be at least an hour and a half before he came to get us from the waiting room. WRONG! It was no more than 40 minutes when he called me back. He looked very serious and given the quick timeline I was scared but he told us that she did good, her tonsils were big but that her adenoids were huge. So off to the waiting room I went again until the nurse called me back. About 5 minutes later the nurse came to get me. While walking back to the bed where Valentina was, the nurse filled me in; Valentina was kind of freaking out because she was crying, therefore couldn't breathe through her nose and her throat hurt so she was having difficulty breathing through her mouth. When I saw my baby girl my whole body went into shock. The panic on Valentina's face and sheer terror in her eyes brought me back to a few days before sissy died. I wanted to freak out but I had to stay calm. I honestly think my mind went somewhere else because the next thing I knew mom had magically materialized, sitting next to me and I was holding Valentina. The reaction Valentina was having was horrible. They were monitoring her vitals and the alarm kept going off because she was so agitated. I'm not going to get into specifics but it was awful. After about an hour they told me it was my call as to if we wanted to go home or stay there. Valentina desperately wanted to leave so we went home. Poor thing kept throwing up. She must have thrown up at least 8-10 times the first day. The second day was better, she only threw up once. Now, day 4, she's doing really good. She has refused to ever take the Tylenol with codeine or Motrin so she's getting regular Tylenol around the clock, every four hours. I set my alarm when I go to bed and give it to her throughout the night. She's been sleeping with us and will continue to for about another week so I can keep an eye on her. So that is what we have been up to. All in all it has gone better than I could have hoped for, after we got past the first day. I miss my sister and wish she could be here.


Andrea said...

LOVE the new design! I was a bit confused at first.

Poor Miss V! I am glad she's on the mend. I can't even imagine how scary it was to see her that upset and terrified. Love to you all!

Alaska said...

Love the new lay out - looks like spring. Sorry to hear about Valentina!! Hope she gets better soon :( Love you all.


Grama said...

Love the new design. You did a great job. So glad the t and a is over with. It was rather miraculous how your Mom knew she was needed.
Love all of you so much

Longineswatch said...

Your blog is very interesting! Christian Louboutin Pumps Christian Louboutin louboutin pumps Longines Longines Watch Rolex Watch Omega Watchyou like it? Get a girlfriend, she'll love,This is my blog, exchange links with us to make friends http://www.longinesuk.co.uk