We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, November 03, 2011

My Date With Amanda

A few weeks ago my best friend Amanda asked me if I had plans for that weekend. Her husband and two kids were going to be out of town and wanted to know if I could make time for dinner with her. A chance to get dressed in clothes? And shoes? And a real outfit? For dinner in a restaurant? Without kids? OF COURSE!!!!

"It's a date!" I exclaimed.

Ooops. I had no one to watch the kids. I did some smooth talking and got Norm to watch them while I went out to dinner.

Amanda asked where we should go. I rattled off about six places I COULDN'T go to because of sissy. "Can you work with me here a little bit?" Amanda pleaded.

Our dinner date was set for Saturday night. I even promised to wear my "hooker heels" for the occasion. They are my black patent leather peep toe wooden platform shoes that I love. I am a purse and shoe whore. I love my shoes and I love my purses.

Saturday night FINALLY came and there was a knock at the door followed by silence. Now normally Amanda knows to just walk in the house because I'm too damn lazy to actually get off my ass and answer the door, especially if it's her. Hell, she even has the code to our garage door. But this night was different, this night she waited for me to answer the door, as any good date does. This is what I saw when I opened the door:


Flowers for me!!!! I almost squealed in delight but mostly laughed at how silly and serious we were both taking this.

Off we went to have dinner at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. I did decide against my hooker heels as I was testing them around the house and almost fell several times. Instead I went with my Anne Klein mules. I was almost giddy with excitement. A dinner out with my favorite date!

Our appetizers, salad rolls and lettuce wraps. It was sooooo good. The entrees were delicious, especially after two cocktails.

The evening was full of laughter, girl talk, good food and perfect company. We had to park two blocks away which made me even more relieved that I hadn't worn my hooker heels. I even made it to the restaurant and back to her car before I almost took a tumble. I thought I had made a smooth recovery until Amanda busted a gut laughing and giving me a hard time for almost making it through without falling.

Amanda and me.

Jen, you had asked me if this was my KKMoFo friend.

Yes.

But she is so much more.

I've known Amanda since I was 17. She has been my confidante, my best friend, my shoulder to cry on (literally), my friend who sat in the hospital with my family while sissy was there, the best food bringer (I'm making that a real word) when sissy was going through chemo, the person who I pushed away after sissy died and was there for me when I came back a few months later, my secret holder and my future LLP.

And my KKMoFo friend :)

♥♥♥♥♥I love you Amanda ♥♥♥♥♥


2 comments:

Jen said...

Hooker Heels??!!! I was going to have to be a little jealous that you didn't bust them out for me on our mid afternoon lunch date :o)

I am so happy you had so much fun! Amanda sounds AWESOME! Every girl needs a friend like that in their life. Makes it all worth it!

What's an LLP??

Amanda (LLP!) said...

We had such a GREAT night! Even without the hooker heels! The look on your face was PRICELESS when you realized that I saw your little 'stumble' at the car. HAHAHA!!!

I love you so much!! Thank YOU for being such an amazing friend!!!