We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Results

December is hard enough on its own but we had the extra stress of waiting to hear if mom had cancer.

Yes. Cancer.

As in Beya might have it.

It started off with a gyno appointment for some excessive bleeding. The doctor wanted to do a biopsy just to rule out uterine cancer. Fine.

The pathology report came back inconclusive but "consistent with cancer."

The doctor wanted to wait a few months before doing another biopsy but mom said no, Trina had to wait a month between her diagnosis and starting treatment and during that month the cancer spread like wildfire. I'm so proud of mom for putting her foot down and insisting on another biopsy in only two weeks.

The week of December 12th was horrible.

Wednesday the 14th was sissy's original cancer anniversary, the day I'd take her out and we'd celebrate her being alive.

Thursday the 15th was when mom had her second biopsy.

Friday the 16th was two years ago sissy found out her chemo wasn't working, her tumor marker numbers had doubled and her doctor told her to wait until after Christmas to start her new chemo regimen. He was basically trying to let her have a last Christmas.

Waiting.

Not telling anyone.

Mom didn't anyone to know about this because she didn't want to make a big deal out of something that might be nothing. She even tried to keep it from me, I just happened to overhear her on the phone and sensed something was up so me being me, I didn't stop hounding her until she told me everything.

We were hoping to have the results before Christmas.

That didn't happen.

Today mom started to freak out. We were all scared and it had been two weeks. Mom had an appointment with her PCP and had left a message with her gyno. We went to the doctor and mom asked him if there was ANY way possible that he could look up her test results. He left to take a look. Those three minutes were the longest minutes. I kept thinking to myself "if it's bad he's not going to tell mom. He'll just tell her they haven't come in yet. Or worse he'll say he can't discuss them with her. Unless he tells us things are fine, they aren't."

The doctor came back, sighed loudly and sat down.

My heart stopped and my stomach flipped.

"There's no cancer. There's nothing pre-cancerous. There is some excessive tissue growth that they will probably want to keep an eye on and probably do another check in six months. But there's no cancer."

NO CANCER!!!!!!

Excessive tissue growth that they want to keep an eye on and probably biopsy every six months or so, we can deal with that. That way if it DOES become pre-cancerous they can get it early. And that is IF.

December was rough indeed and Christmas is another blog post entirely but this was good news that I had to post right away.

Whew!

2 comments:

Grama said...

So grateful to hear no cancer. I had a test like that once and they did what they called a cone biopsy (Ithink) and just took the whole top lining out.
So glad you don't have to keep worrying.
Love you and your Mom so much

Andrea said...

Oh, wow! VERY thankful it wasn't cancer! I can't even begin to imagine how awful that wait was. Whew, is right!