We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cameo-3, Norm-1

Norm and I have been arguing on the colors I want to decorate the family room in. It's in desperate need of updating and I want it to be fresh and bright as that is where the kids play. The east wall is the one wall that has the fireplace flanked by bookcases that go almost all the way up to the ceiling so there's not much wall space there. Then we have the opposite, west, wall that has the french doors to lead in and out of the dining room so again, very little wall space. The largest wall is the north wall which has the french doors that open to the back deck and the south wall is where the couch is backed up to and I have some book shelves hung up so again, not very much wall space. Ok, TMI but this is necessary for the story.

(FYI, the colors I'm saying here aren't the real colors I'll be using because I want it to be a surprise when we finally do get it done. That and someone I know who copies EV-REE-THING I do would up and redo her family room in the exact same colors.)

So I've gone through all the colors with Norm. He keeps vetoing all my choices. He wants beige. BEIGE!!!! The whole living room and most of the dining room is beige! The kids' rooms and bathroom are colorful and I want the family room to be also, hence this major redecoration! Finally we agreed on two colors, green and orange (again, not the real colors although I did like orange. That was the first one Norm threw out). I wanted to paint the fireplace wall green and the other three walls orange. I even went so far as to buy a few sample paints to show him. He agreed. About three weeks ago I slapped up a splash of the green above the fireplace to see how it looked and I loved it. Norm asked me why I was testing the one wall that was going to orange with green paint. I just looked at him, dumbfounded.

"This wall is going to be green, the other three are going to be orange" I explained to him, confused as to why he was questioning me when we had already agreed on the colors.

"Oh no, no, no, no, no" he asserted. "You aren't going to have three orange walls! The one wall is going to be orange, the other three green."

"Uh, NO, it's the other way around. I have one green wall and three orange walls" I argued.

We went around and around on this for about an hour before declaring a stalemate. I told mom the next day I was going to get my three orange walls.

"He's not going to budge" mom said.

"I'll get my way" I assured her.

Things have been busy lately and the family room decor has taken a backseat to life. I had been at the fabric store yesterday and found a beautiful print that would make the perfect drapes for the family room in our color scheme. I showed it to Norm and he didn't hate it. Score one for me. Yay! So I went into the family room to try to picture the drapes and decided that maybe the north wall would be the good one to make green but still do the other three walls orange. That's when I got to looking at the walls. Hmmm..... the east wall is really small, it wouldn't take very much paint to cover it. In fact it couldn't really be considered a wall at all. Aha! I found my way in! Valentina came into the family room and asked what I was doing.

"I'm trying to figure out if daddy will give me two orange walls" I said innocently but loud enough to make sure Norm could hear me where he was sitting in the living room.

There was a pause.

"Yes, I'll give you two orange walls" Norm said. I could hear a slight smile in his voice as he knew he was  caving halfway but had made me so happy.

If I could have, I would have jumped up and down in excitement.

"I get my three walls! I get my three walls!" I exclaimed.

"TWO!" Norm shouted.

"Well, see this wall?" I pointed out the east wall to Norm. "It doesn't really count as a wall. And the fireplace wall won't really show so really, you win because you get a BIG wall and I just have the leftovers" I smoothed over.

The first thing I told mom when she came over this morning was shriek "I GOT THREE ORANGE WALLS! I GOT MY THREE WALLS!" Mom was aghast and asked how I managed that. I told her and after some more talking we decided to stick with the fireplace wall being green and the other three walls orange. Ooops, I guess the bulk of the room WILL be painted orange.....but at least Norm can't argue with me. I'm also sure as shit not going to tell Norm which ONE wall I'm painting green until it's all done and he comes home to see the room already painted.

WALL SCORE

Cameo - 3

Norm - 1

2 comments:

Krystal said...

That is funny - he gave in to 2 walls, so that really meant 3 :) BUT - girl, how am I supposed to re-do my family room if you don't give me the wall colors? And the fabric print, I'll need that, too. I'm just kidding of course, but in all honesty, if you lived closer to me I would tell you to go to town and pick out whatever colors you want to decorate my house. I have no opinions, Michael has no opinions, so we just leave stuff undone b/c nobody makes a decision.

Anonymous said...

Oh Cameo....we are two peas in a pod. Fighting our sweet husbands, who are trying desperately to maintain their ground. I love it! And I love you! And I love Norm. And I love all of your paint slathering - here and there. And...the fake colors so as to fool me from stealing those bad boys! Good call!

I want to be you.

You saw Heathers, right?

Or...

Single White Female?

Oh, by the way...it's me and typing comments to you on my phone won't allow me to be ME - Jen!!!