We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Monday, June 25, 2012

My Ship Has Docked


My family room is done!!! After six years of wanting to do it, months of trying to come up with a theme, months of Norm vetoing my preferred colors, weeks of planning the shades of colors, weeks of figuring out when to do it, it is D-U-N!!!! Well, not really, I still have some other things to put up and details to finish but this is the main reveal! After fighting with Norm over the colors and leading of you on a wild goose chase and not telling you my real colors, I give you my new, nautical family room. 



This is the before picture. Well, this is the room at it's before best. The room was overrun with the kids' toys and full of clutter. Mom moved everything out so she could paint. You can also see the 8 (eight!) color swatches above the fireplace. Please disregard the ceiling fan, I'm getting rid of it shortly and replacing it with something more modern.



AFTER!!!!! The coffee table is Michael Graves for Target that I picked up on clearance six years ago for  20 bucks, about 80% off the original price. I've had it in the garage just waiting for the right time to pull it out. I think it goes perfect in my new room. I've also since added photos on the fireplace and am repurposing my old mirror that was above the fireplace. There are so many little details that you can't see in the photo. The chair on the right was sissy's.



BEFORE: note those hideous 80's white plaster wall sconces that came with the house when we bought it. You can't really tell but the walls were a nasty "skin color". We had called it flesh toned but Valentina has discovered skin colors so she'll say her, Beya and Papa are brown and Norm and I are "skin colored". Mom and I crack up about it so we started calling it "skin colored". The couch was trashed by the cats we used to have, who have since gone bye bye by (eventually) humane means. There also used to be two shelves above the couch with a piece of unfinished wood acting as a bridge between the two so I could fit even more shit on it. I called it the death shelf because we had stacked the 10 newspapers that had sissy's obituary on it along with the bag we had received from the funeral home that contained thank you notes, a list of people who had come to the service and other various things to do with her passing.




Death shelves be gone! I also love my new sconces!  I need to take a close up of them but I love the way they reflect the light onto the ceiling. You also can't tell but the ceiling was filthy so it really brightened the room after mom painted it. I had originally planned on putting a navy slipcover on the couch but after I dyed it (twice) it came out purple. Horrible, ugly purple. Mom and I had a moment of genius and put on my red cover and I think it provides the perfect pop of color. I love the red.




Before the french doors had some old, dingy palm tree drapes. The TV was also in the corner and left so much wasted space.



You can't really tell but we moved the TV closer to the doors leaving a lot of room to stack up the 480 bins of toys the kids have. The new blue drapes are actually a shower curtain that I loved and thought pulled everything together. We're also going to add a red throw pillow to sissy's chair.

So there it is! My new, nautical themed family room!!!! You can't really see the nautical items but I will post some close ups that show that it indeed does have a nautical vibe to it. I absolutely love it. It's so bright and clean and looks so different!!!

Thank you to Beya for doing all the work, I simply worked as a director. When we started on Thursday I told mom "you know if Trina was here we'd be doing something totally different. The three of us could never agree on how to redo this room."

I wonder how it would have ended up if she were still here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no words for this...

Jen said...

Congratulations! I thought it was going to be next summer before it was finished! I thought for sure we would be seeing at least 22 more fake color samples! I never thought we'd be seeing this real post this year : )

I can't believe Beya just took orders, and did all the work!

WIth each line,

"Mom moved everything out so she could paint..."

What?

"You also can't tell, but the ceiling was filthy so it really brightened the room after mom painted it."

What? Overhead painting is a bitch and a half!

"Thank you Beya for doing all the work."

What?

Can I borrow Beya?

I'm so glad to hear you at least took your director's hat off to dye the slipcover : )

No seriously, I'm so happy to see it all came together so nicely. And most of all...I'm so happy there's no longer a death shelf in there, as it wouldn't have mixed well with its bright and cheery nature, right?

Love to you all!

Me