We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Political/Religious Rant

I guess I'm bored and am trying to stir up some controversy or a hornets nest because I know what I'm about to post is a hot fire button but it's one I feel strongly about.

I hate it when Papa watches Fox News. He's a news junkie and watches all news because he is the most well informed person when it comes to news and politics. If you want to know about anything in the news just ask him, he'll tell you. So on one hand it's great that he can be so well rounded and informed but on the other hand when he starts bringing in the Fox rhetoric into the house we don't agree on a lot of things.

Today his argument was that prayer should be allowed in public schools.

Oh no he di-int!

If there's one thing I feel strongly about it's that prayer does NOT belong in public schools! I don't want my kids having to pray in school. I'm not opposed to prayer per se but I send my kids to public school to learn about all walks of life. I wanted Valentina to learn about God so for two years I sent her to Catholic school. She talks about it a lot still, about how Jesus was born, died, etc.... I think it's great. What I don't think is great is if she learned about this in public school. I asked papa if he thought it would be ok if the Quran was taught in public schools. No, he didn't like that idea. I explained that it's the same thing. I'm not opposed to the Quran either but I don't want it read in public schools. I don't want the Torah read in public schools. I don't think the Bible should be taught in schools either. I also brought up a scenario that hit him at his heartstrings.

"What if Asa was being raised Jewish yet the schools were all about the Bible and Jesus? Asa would be left out. Is that ok?" No, papa had to admit that he didn't like that thought.

"Do you think Valentina would learn about other peoples beliefs in Catholic school? No, she wouldn't. That's why she isn't going to Catholic school. When I wanted her to learn about it I paid the tuition for her to have a parochial education. She learned the basics and now I want her to learn about EVERYTHING. I don't ever want either child to think there is only one 'right' way."

Another thing I love about our public school is that it is so diverse. There are kids from every socio economic class and ethnicity. I can tell you from experience that was NOT the case when she was in private school. There were two Hispanic kids and one Korean who was the adopted daughter of the teacher. That was it. And everyone had the same economic class, NOT the case in the school the kids are in now. Now I cannot say enough good things about Valentina's teacher. She knew we were involved with Judaism and she was always very accepting of that and was always very respectful of that fact. I loved her teacher. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the parents. 90% of them were the stereotypical conservative upper class white parents who pushed and pushed me to join the Catholic "mom's group." In fact I even nicknamed one of them "mom's group" because the only thing she ever talked to me about was that I needed to go to "mom's group."

To those who do send their kids to private school, great. I went to private school growing up. I never went to public school. But I feel that if I want my kids to be accepting of ALL people the best chance they have is to attend public school. If you want to pray with your child, great, I'm all for that. Hell, if your kid prays before lunch in public school that's fine too. But to have the teacher leading the kids in prayer or for the Bible to be used in school, well, I don't agree with that.




No comments: