We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bragging Rights

I had both kids' parent/teacher conferences this afternoon. I had told the kids to let me know if they had been in ANY trouble before I went to talk to their teachers. When I came back (the teachers communicated so well between them that they were able to schedule Asa and Valentina's meetings back to back) I had a stern look on my face. I instructed both of the kids to sit on the loveseat as I needed to talk to them. Asa had a small, hopeful grin but Valentina was very nervous. Valentina even started to chew her nails, a habit we've tried very hard to break her of.

"Asa, Valentina, I talked to both of your teachers" I started in. "They had quite a bit to tell me." I couldn't keep up the charade any longer as I gleefully clapped my hands and hugged them both. "You are BOTH excellent students and your teachers think you are both WONDERFUL!!!" Valentina squealed and Asa smiled.

Asa's teacher actually said he was a model student and she wished all of her kids were like him. He had struggled with writing last year but this year he has really excelled and is already on his second writing journal.

Valentina sometimes gets behind in her work because she is so detailed in her drawing. Her teachers were also very pleased with her social skills and kindness. That was something I had worried about because her attention span is that of a gnat and she runs hot and cold in the friends department. She can be very sweet and a great friend or she can be very aloof and a loner.

I'm very proud of both kids and am very fortunate to have them both in my life.

No comments: