We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, November 01, 2012

Thank You Mom And Papa

I've been reminded lately just how awesome my parents are. Not that I ever forget but these are just a few reasons/memories to let you know how lucky I am to have my parents be MY parents.

I was thinking of River Phoenix yesterday as he died on Halloween in 1993. I was a big fan of his and I grew up about 6 hours from where he had lived when he was younger. I begged my parents to take me to Madras, Oregon, just to see the town. Well, I didn't have to beg as they were more than willing to take the trip, just to let me see the town. That was all. We didn't do anything, we just drove through Madras. All of that time and gas money taken up just so I could see where one of my hero's lived.

That wasn't all. Back when "Twin Peaks" was on I was already a David Lynch fanatic. Yes, they drove me to Snoqualmie, Washington so I could see where it had been filmed. We missed the filming crew by a few weeks but I didn't care. Again, a very long day and a very long drive just so I could see what the real "Great Northern Hotel" was (The Salish Lodge) and eat cherry pie at the "Double R Diner" (really the Mar-T Cafe) and have a "damn fine cup of coffee." I had an entire scrapbook devoted to "Twin Peaks" and again my parents indulged me in this dream of mine.

I always questioned religion especially what I was raised, Seventh-Day Adventist. Although mom really believed in it (she has since come to her senses and left, haha) she never suppressed my questions, she encouraged me to talk to the Pastor, to write him letters asking why he was doing this, preaching about that when it made absolutely no sense to me. Whenever he would start bashing other churches, something I felt was wrong, mom let me stand up tall and walk out of his sermons. She didn't care that my beliefs conflicted with hers, she gave me the freedom to follow MY path and determine what was right for ME.

These are just a few of the examples of the countless things my parents took the time (and spend money we didn't have) to make MY dreams come true. I am so grateful to have them not just a part of my life but to have them BE my life. I'm so grateful to have them live with me. I'm so grateful for all that they do for me every day. I'm so grateful for what they do with my kids every day. I'm so grateful to have them every day. I'm so grateful that they are MY parents.

Thank you mom and papa.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I will never comment from my phone...in bed...again! I know I said that a few times before, but mark my words...NEVER AGAIN. my AWESOMELY BEAUTIFUL comment about your parents didn't take and now I don't have the time to recreate it, but I love them and I am so thankful that you had the kind of parents they were/are : )

You lucky dog, you!

** And you know when I use the term dog...it is in the highest, most loving endearing, compassionate, above all else words on this earth and beyond!! **

Now what the FUCK kind of password/keyword is that to type...I hate these things!!!! I have had so many problems sending you comments...this is why I didn't have time to write about your parents,, I have to fight with this thing!! I must LOVE you!!!