We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Friday, June 28, 2013

Spanish With An Irish Accent

I'm watching the DVD of "U2 360 Live From The Rose Bowl" for about the 50th time and when Bono introduces "Vertigo" he says "some Spanish lessons with an Irish accent."

It reminded me of a situation that could have only happened to sissy and our family.

Shortly after Valentina came home the six of us went to the cabin for a day or two. On our way home we stopped in town to have lunch with Father William from papa's Catholic church. Sissy and I were seated across the table from Father William who was from Ireland and had a very, very strong Irish accent. Now this alone made it difficult to understand what he was saying but throw in the fact that he was also bilingual and would switch from English to Spanish mid-sentence and it was nearly impossible to make out what he saying. He also had a very witty sense of humor so he laughed a lot at his jokes. At least I think they were jokes, he could very well have been laughing at us. At first I thought it must have just been me having difficulty understanding him since sissy would just say "sorry, I don't understand". Father William would laugh and turn to papa, who was sitting right next to him and they would continue in Spanish. I decided I would try sissy's genius idea so I was going to try it next time he talked to me. Keep in mind that Father William talked a LOT. Pretty soon I was in the situation of him looking me square in the eye and saying something I couldn't make out. I was going say "sorry, I don't understand" but then I thought I had picked up a few English words so how rude would that have been to say "I don't understand what you're saying" if he had been speaking English?! I would occasionally look at papa and hoped to pick up some cues from him because papa was fluent in Father William, the two of them would randomly go in and out of Spanish and English. Now my plan would have worked perfectly but papa can't hear well, especially in noisy places such as a restaurant. Father William knew this so he was used to papa just nodding his head at whatever he said. So here sissy and I were trapped, right in Father William's line of sight, we couldn't pretend we didn't hear him. Needless to say Valentina needed a LOT of attention during that lunch! Poor girl was just trying to eat her food and I was using her as a distraction, checking her diaper, cutting up her food, looking through the diaper bag for something nonexistent that I appeared to desperately need. It was one of the longest lunches I've ever had. It wasn't until we left the restaurant that sissy and I were laughing at how neither one of us could understand a word of what Father William was saying.

"But you did great at saying you didn't understand when he speaking Spanish" I said to sissy.

"I didn't know if he was speaking Spanish or English!" she gasped.

Oh how we laughed at how comical the whole thing was.

You can't make this shit up.


No comments: