We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, February 27, 2014

Oscar Time

Mom and I did pretty good at seeing every one of the nine movies nominated for best picture/main acting Oscars. Last year there was a movie theater running a marathon and we missed only one. This year they didn't have a marathon so we had to see them on our own. We are missing only two and I'm pretty happy with that.

Best Picture Nominations:

     American Hustle - I nodded off. Yes, that was how good it was.

     Captain Phillips - Good.

     Dallas Buyers Club - LOVED it.

     Gravity - Boring. I had no connection to the main character, I found myself rooting for the other person to make it.

     Her - (this was one we missed)

     Nebraska - Holy hell. I cried at the end. I loved, loved, loved it. I cried because Beya lived through those times with her parents. I cried because it was emotional. I cried because it was a glimpse into my future. I cried because it was that good.

     Philomena - (the other one we missed)

     12 Years A Slave - I nodded off to this one too.

     The Wolf of Wall Street - Norm was great and watched the kids/put them to bed so mom and I could go to a 7pm showing of it last night. It was highly entertaining and the three hours went by very quickly. I liked it.

In addition to the Best Movie nominations we also saw the movies that the actors were nominated for.

     Blue Jasmine - Cate Blanchett deserves the Oscar. I saw tinges of myself in her. Hey, at least I keep my conversations in my head and don't say them out loud.

     August: Osage County - I felt as if I came from the most normal/sane family ever when I walked out of the theater.

Mom and I will be glued to the TV this Sunday. I also can't wait to see who wins the original song Oscar. Of course I'm rooting for my boys from Ireland :)

   

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love your reviews!

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Philomena!!!!!!! One of the BEST movies. I also liked Her. I wish you could have experienced sitting by my mom and Gary through that movie...it was a movie in itself - right over her head! She's like having another kid : )

Now I can't wait to see Nebraska, and I have been dying to see Dallas Buyer's Club...I couldn't believe I missed it in theaters!!!!