We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Sunday, May 18, 2014

Valentina Ballerina


Valentina had her ballet recital this weekend. I was so proud of her! I had things all planned out, I would slowly get her ready, taking special care to pouf her peacock tail, do her hair nice and "crispy" (her words, from the mousse) and just overall have a nice calm morning. 

The time came to get her ready and she had a meltdown. It didn't help that I had been up all night with Asa who had been sick with a headache, sore throat and nonstop cough. I tried to stay as calm as possible but all I could think of while I held her and told her she was a brave girl and could do this was "we're going to be late. I'm never going to get her ready on time. I have to get her in her costume, this is not working out like I had planned!" After a half hour I was frazzled and out of sorts. I somehow managed to get her ready and all of us rushed out the door. We had just left the driveway when mom asked if I had her tutu and feather for her head. Nope. Turn around, unlock the house, run in, grab the dress bag that held everything, lock the house, run back out to the car, realize I forgot the tickets, run back to the house, unlock the house (again), make a mess looking for the tickets, grab the tickets, lock the house (again), get in the car and we were finally off, for good this time. 

I have often complained to my family and some friends about the cost of ballet, especially since during rehearsals it appeared that Valentina learned about 5 different moves and that was it. "We could have gone on a vacation" I vented to a fellow ballet mom. I was backstage with Valentina until it was time for the peacocks to perform and then I was able to run into the audience. Valentina may have only learned five moves but seeing her on stage, looking so happy, full of confidence, having FUN, well, it was a vacation. A vacation that lasted about 25 seconds but a vacation nontheless. 


Backstage, waiting to go on stage. This is one of the few photos she allowed me to take. 

Asa was a patient big brother. One of his soccer teammates was there as his sister is in the same class as Valentina and they sat together. 

I was so proud of my Valentina Ballerina and I know that sissy would have been too. Sissy would have had the biggest bouquet of flowers waiting for her Vali, I just wish she could have been there. 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness she looks so grown up in this picture! I just want to say what a great mom you are. Because great moms sacrifice sleep for sick kids, and great moms sacrifice vacations so that kids can take ballet. I also want to say that I'm sorry your sissy wasn't there for the recital. I wish I had something more positive and encouraging to say...but really all that comes to mind is that I'm sorry. And it sucks. And it's not fair. I also read the post about papa...sending prayers and good thoughts that the dr is just being proactive/precautionary. Blessings, Melissa

Jen said...

Oh Cameo!! Valentina Ballerina looks beautiful! She also looks so grown up in that picture! What the heck?!?

I absolutely love every detail in this post!! I wish I could have been there to see her seconds of moves! I would have loved to.

You are the best, always! Your family is the best! I'm so happy the "all worth everything' moment was there for you! You deserve the world, because you give the world.

I love you...doesn't even cover it : )