We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Saturday, October 04, 2014

Grown Up Vacation


Norm and I have been flirting with the idea of going back to Cabo for the past few years. It is the only place in Mexico where only he and I had been to, no family, no sissy, just us. The thought of leaving my family, however, was enough to send me into a panic attack. Literally. 

It has been almost five years since sissy died and over the summer I began to feel ready. I finally felt as if I was ready to leave my family for a few days and just do a getaway for Norm and me. 

Sometime around June or July I booked everything. We were set for Cabo! We were going to go to Mexico! Norm and I were finally going to celebrate our 20th anniversary! 20 years together is a long time and it deserved to be celebrated. So we were booked!

Well wouldn't you know it, Hurricane Odile had other plans for us. The hotel we were supposed to stay at took a direct hit and suffered structural damage. They aren't even going to think of taking new reservations until mid January. What to do? I felt horrible for the residents of Cabo who had lost things, some lost everything they had. Terrible. 

That said, I realized just how much I had been looking forward to this trip. Both Norm and I needed to get away, work has been especially stressful to Norm and I just wanted a getaway. 

But we couldn't go to Cabo! 

I immediately began to look fast and furiously. We had only two weeks until it was time for our vacation and I had no idea where we would go. 

After much, much searching and my mind going buggy many, many days, I decided on Palm Springs. But where in Palm Springs?! I looked and looked and couldn't find something that had "it". They were all pretty and I found a lot of luxurious hotels and spas but they were missing something. 

Until one caught my eye. 


I took one look at the website, and then another, and then another and I was HOOKED! This was what I was looking for! A real 60's, kitschy, mid-century modern hotel that was reminiscent of the Rat Pack! I fell in love with it.

But what about Norm? 

He doesn't share my love of mid-century modern, he has fought me tooth and nail on redecorating the house in that theme so what was he going to say about staying at a hotel that looked like it? 

I was equal parts excited and apprehensive about showing him the website when he got home from work. 

But he fell in love with it just as I did. It took me about 30 minutes from the time I showed him the website until I had our flight and hotel booked. 

It was all booked! Now what to do? 

Second guess myself and stalk Trip Advisor. Every negative review that came in made my heart sink. Every glowing review restored my faith. 

Monday morning Norm and I did some last minute packing, I got the kids off to school, of course Valentina was kind of sick so I had the whole "I'm such a bad mom, I'm going on vacation while my child is sick" guilt, but that didn't stop mom from taking us to the airport. 

We got to the hotel around 7 pm and got a free upgrade to a jr. suite. Score! I was instantly reminded of all of the great reviews of the hotel when we walked in to our room:










What's not to love about this room?


Norm took a walk to a grocery store on Tuesday and we were set with snacks and alcohol.


For three and a half days this is what we did. Read, swam and hung out at the mostly empty pool.


At any given time there were a max of about 6 other parties at the pool. I considered it "cramped" if there were more than four other people swimming at the same time as me. The pool was big and super spacious with lots of little nooks and crannies for people to hang out in. Needless to say we had plenty of room to swim and relax.



What can I say, I'm not a selfie queen like Beya :)

Our flight landed just before midnight Friday night. Oh, and BOTH kids ended up sick while I was gone but Beya did a great job and I didn't have to worry. We were also able to skype and talk on the phone every day.

All in all Norm and I had a great trip and I learned an important lesson; instead of making our trip for four nights the next time I need to make it for five...... or more!

I'm very proud of myself for having a grown up vacation with my husband. It was well worth it.

No comments: