We were the closest family possible. Our world was turned upside down on 05/03/09 when my best friend, the person I love most next only to our children, my sister Trina was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. Her body gave out on her on 01/09/10 but she will ALWAYS be a part of our daily life and will continue to be in my posts. I started my blog to chronicle our daughter's international adoption from Guatemala and have continued to use it as a journal.

What you will find is my family trying to adapt to our new lives that were handed to us.



Thursday, October 30, 2014

Happy Birthday To Me

I turned 39 on Tuesday. I've never looked forward to my birthday and it has become even worse the past 4 years.

Tuesday morning began even earlier as that is Asa's Highly Capable school day so he has to catch the bus super early. I was up getting ready, brushing my teeth actually, when mom came into the bathroom, her face lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Go back to sleep, it's your birthday" she told me.

"No, it's Asa's early day" I told her.

"I know! I'm up, let me do it for you" she responded.

"I'm already up too" I said, digging my heels in between spits of toothpaste.

"I'm taking the day off" Beya said.

I was speechless.

"No, no, no, it's too late, you have to work, don't get in trouble, go to work" I pleaded.

"I took it off!" she announced, her face even brighter. "I already have it arranged, someone is taking my place today! I'm all yours today! We can see a movie or anything you want!"

I smiled. I smiled and felt so happy. I felt happy like I haven't felt in the past 4+ years. I felt giddy happy. Mom and I were finally going to have a day together! An irresponsible, full of fun, day off.

Mom said I looked happy, I looked happy like I hadn't looked like in the past 4+ years.

And I was.

We went to Bath and Body Works.

We had lunch.

We saw "Gone Girl".

We picked up the kids.

We came home and watched the World Series.

Norm came home with Grasshopper pie and flowers for me.

I had a great birthday.

Thank you mom.

No comments: